Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
David Holden

More Canvey Lies?

I think the problem arises from when people started supporting the Fleet.

Prior to or promotion year We were getting 500 tops, with the success We had that season the gates went up to about 750...those extra 250 probably regard Canvey as " The Enemy ". Following promotion the gates went up to 1100 to 1200....the fans who started coming then probably regard Margate as " The Enemy ".

We all enjoy watching clubs we dislike doing badly ( The greatest moment in Scottish football history was Chris Waddles penalty miss against Germany ) but the truth is if you leave your rivals behind there is no one left to hate. frown.gif

I still regard Dartford and Maidstone as the enemy thay ruined too many Boxing Days for me as a teenager (mainly Taylor and Hessie) when a 3-1 defeat was our best result for years.

Hated Dartford 'cos they always won on Boxing day, hated Maidstone 'cos they were so "LOADSAMONEY" brash and so dirty.

Now hate Git cos of Kinnear (what a twat), and Canvey 'cos old Burger King STILL has no respect for us and what we have achieved.

I suspect the Canvey fans do now, and the feeling is mutual.

Yellow Army is quite correct, long may good natured rivalry continue, it is what being a footy supporter is all about.

I think the Canvey/Gravesend rivalry is a sign of the mutual respect for what each club has achieved. Gravesend is one of the first results I look for and not because I hope you have lost. Apart from anything else I think it is good to see teams from the 'weaker' Ryman League holding their own and doing well at the highest level when others always look at us expecting us to fail or fall behing the ex DM league teams etc.

The friendly banter is what I think non league footie is about and makes it enjoyable - I guess there are always going to be some who take it too extremes, that's life.

As for the good bits! - long may it continue.

Good luck tomorrow guys

Yeah.Canvey fans have a very similar outlook to football as us. We are both small part time clubs who really have no right to be as successful as we are. Bigger clubs look down on us as "lowly" and generally still disrespect ourachievements, usually to their cost.