Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Todays Game

chris blanc

Hi. I am a stevenage fan. I was quite impressed by the way you played in the second half but I do think you were lucky to win. yes it was our managers fault to bring off a striker and sit deep when we were doing that anyway with 2 strikers and it wasnt working but I am sorry the second goal should never have been. We were attacking, had a great claim for a penalty and for some stupid and weird reason the ref gave a free kick to you and whilst our players were wondering why you went and scored. Should never have been given. You had the ref on your side today. Our player got sent off for dissent at the ref for that goal. Good luck for the season but I can see why you havent lost a game yet if you have refs like that every week.

Quote:
Anonymous said: for some stupid and weird reason the ref gave a free kick to you

Quote:
Anonymous said: You had the ref on your side today.

Quote:
Anonymous said:I can see why you havent lost a game yet if you have refs like that every week.

Firstly, the freekick was for handball.

Secondly, the ref was nt on our side, ur havin a laugh!! He was more on ur side!

Thirdly, the reason we aint lost yet is because we have been playing well, and together like a team, plus we dont cheat!!!

Up Da Fleet!!!
djsmile.gif

I have to agree with Red Neck - it was far from a classic performance by us, and in the end, we were a little fortunate to win. Today was of course the first time we have gone behind all season, and for a while we didn't seem to know what to do about it. Once again, though, it was clear that passing it along the floor works best, although it has to be said that we were certainly helped along the way by Westley's overly negative tactics when 1-0 up.

The unbeaten run has to come to an end eventually, of course, and if we play next week like we did in the first half today, Hereford may well beat us again, despite their surprising defeat today. Even if we avoid defeat next week, Barnet the week after seems even tougher, as their top-of-the-table position and 5-1 demolition of Morecambe today suggests. However, I think we all agree that the beginning to the season has been better than any of us could have expected.

Sorry -the refs decision may have been incorrect, but rather than disputing the decision, players should get on with the game.

Had the Stevenage players done just that, and got back to defend, then perhaps we wouldnt have scored the second goal.

For Stevenage to suggest "we had the ref on our side" is laughable -until the 2nd goal, we had 3 players booked and Stevenage none and of those 3,only Andy Drury deserved his card - a tackle from behind ( and that was borne out of frustration at the refs inability to get decisions right).

Maamria kicked the ball away on one occasion without even being spoken to,there was a perfectly good Protheroe tackle 5 yards outside the Fleet box in the first half, that only a good Wilko save and follow up clearance,stopped you scoring from, and there was an incident in the corner where Omoyimni was basically shoved off the ball (certainly not simply a case of the ball being shielded out) as well as other cases.

Apart from their goal,I only recall Wilko making 2 other saves (1 in each half) and the header off the line by Roy, with the score at 2-1.

I am sure we had the greater share of possession today, and deserved to win.

Red Neck and jc - you're hard to please aren't you??

Ok , so we werent perfect today, by any means, but I felt we played far better today than we had against either Northwich or York. And if,in any event, we still get 3 points without quite firing on all cylinders, thats got to be good news.

I didnt think we were that bad in the first half anyway - it was just unfortunate that the crosses we put over fell to Surey and Manny, who are never going to win many high balls. Had Roy been there, or Jefferson,I suspect we could have had a couple of goals by halftime.

Well done Gravesend, looked a good side today, Dino didn't actually do anything to Wilko today which is a surprise I know, sorry Wilko lost a lot of respect for you today.

Good luck for the rest of the season, after seeing you today you'll do well.

boodakasha!! eazy tells it like it is...

yes, i thought you looked decent. specifically your right midfielder had a great touch and awareness about him, and i thought your team had a good desire to win. none of us were pleased by our stifling tactics at 1-0, but then who would be, we wouldn't have moaned if we'd won of course...

i can guaruntee that no contact was made with wilko, certainly not anywhere near his head. i guarantee even more that if we'd shut our gottamn mouths and got on with it we wouldn't have conceded that goal, but hey...

timewasting, not really. our keeper andy woodman always but always has that casual pace, i'm sure he picks it up when we're 2-0 down with just a few left on the clock...

i've left three dots after each of these comments, as they're all issues which are past and gone. i'm very, very dissapointed with reports of throwing by graham, don't know the truth in them but if true will not make me a happy bunny seeing as it's the reputation of my club at stake. if you get any further info, i'd really appreciate it if someone could post it on www.stevenageborofc.com fans forum or borochat on www.boroguide.com (easier to use). there was a throwing of a coke can at wilko immediately after the (wilko cheat?) free kick/goal incident with which i was highly dissapointed. fyi, only other really bad incident: frustrated boro fan maybe 30 years old screaming at two 12 year olds (or so) to shut the f up followng our defeat by farny 2-0 last season. if it happens just one more time i'm going to kick some effers [****!!****], so keep your eyes peeled on that conferencetv.com thing for an enraged, reputation-obsessed boro ninja ass-whooping frown.gif

ps lee essandoh? of fa cup wycombe fame?? our mark rogers came from wycombe, trivially...

luv me three dots smile.gif

Quote:
Anonymous said:
there was a throwing of a coke can at wilko immediately after the (wilko cheat?) free kick/goal incident with which i was highly dissapointed.

Quote:
Anonymous said: ps lee essandoh? of fa cup wycombe fame?? our mark rogers came from wycombe, trivially...

To the 1st quote, really!!! Im shockced! lol Was this incedent seen by a steward? If so was it reported!!?

Secondly, it's Roy Essandoh and yes it was the ex Wycombe player!

A great performance today1

Isn't it good to have some "Away" supporters coming on-line and actually making a few interesting and thoughtful comments!

Had a conversation with Dave H. just after half time, He disagrees, but I was right in line with that Stevenage goal and although 99 times out of a hundred it would have missed by a mile I saw him look up and go for the shot so fair play to him, it was a cracker!

Thought Sidabe was immense when he came on! Is he a super-sub or what!

Can't understand why Stevenage are complaining about, when they are moaning about the second goal because all Gravesend did was play to the whistle which is the professional thing to do, something Stevenage where doing all afternoon! I was quite impressed with them, a definate top five team I reckon, especially if they get rid of that twat Whestley and the fat git Elding who did nothing but posteur and moan!

As for the incident with Wilko and Mamaaria? I think there was some history behind all that from last years game. Its not like Wilko to dive and can anyone tell me precisely why the lino was flagging if there was no contact?

Acid test comes next week with Hereford, then we can see exactly how far we have progressed since last year.

What a great day!

meh! worried about the way you put away in speech marks, so for the sake of my credibility you can go and f*** yourself wink.gif

in terms of the second goal, i think we can all appreciate what ya did, we'd do the same, but we had a good view and firmly belive the ref made a shi'it decision to start with. we were pinging it around your area and saw some solid play and possibly a foul against us, therefore were up in arms to get one taken against us... same old story, we've all been there - in which case we'll see you sob's at the boro!!!!

give us a shout on boroguide and we'll see ya in stripes before the game. or if it's segregated, chip down the roebuck and i'll rip ya's there wink.gif

see ya in league 2 next year ya bitches!!

There was something thrown at Wilko at the final whistle and yes a steward was there and must have seen it.

I'm sure video evidence will show Maamria raised his hand towards Wilko's face but not sure what he actually connected with. The lino also saw the incident but the ref chose not to take any action.

What was very clear to me was the handball by their player in our penalty box, I was surprised the ref spotted it and probably one of the few good decisions he made all game.

The Sportinglife.com website is laughable though - in its running text commentary,it has Handball by Jay Saunders (Gravesend) followed immediately by Free kick to Gravesend !!

The Press Association Guy obviously walked out as Moussa scored his second as well, cos he missed both the Red Card to the Stevenage guy,and the yellow card for Moussa (still think re-introducing a "book them if they take their shirt off" rule is petty to say the least - especially when you look at one or two of the other incidents yesterday that didnt prompt yellow cards (the foul on Manny a couple of minutes before he was booked for something less serious for instance)

straight up, i want video evidence in games because (forgive me!) i want football to be the winner.

beyond this, i have doubt that the quality of the footage of this game will be able to give an accurate picture of what exactly happened. personally, and having met dino, i can say that he has a very good attitude towards the game, and his commitment is never in doubt.

Quote:
Anonymous said:
and having met dino, i can say that he has a very good attitude towards the game, and his commitment is never in doubt.

The bloke's an animal - last season his instruction was to clobber Wilko in the opening minutes, knowing we didn't have another 'keeper on the bench. Nice, eh?

Still, this year he managed to behave himself.

Now had time to calm down and gather my thoughs.

Didn't play brilliantly today, but Stevenage did have an excellent defence, evidenced by the 4 previous clean sheets.

Defensively we were superb, Skins, Prothers bombed forward a lot to good effec, helping out the midfield. Shears was out of this world, I voted him MOM. So much for him being out of form and in dispute with Andy.

Ports now has the problem getting his place back.

Midfield battled hard against an equally tough midfield 4.

Looked a bit lightweight up front.........until Andy made changes. On a hot day against a tiring defence Stevenage simply had no answer to the pace, movement and passing of Drury, Moussa, Roy and latterly Pinns. Goals were always likely to come.

Westley made his biggest mistake expecting to defend a 1-0 lead for 70 minutes by time wasting and hoofing the ball forward, especially against a team unbeaten in 17 games, and the leagues top scorers.

Our victory was largely the result of better management and a better desire to win.

Interestingly, both Stevenage forums are full of praise for our skill levels and many have said we are a better team than Hereford.

The test will come next week.

Also have to say the Stevenage away support was excelllent - they deserve a better manager than Westley.

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:
Quote:
Anonymous said:
and having met dino, i can say that he has a very good attitude towards the game, and his commitment is never in doubt.

The bloke's an animal - last season his instruction was to clobber Wilko in the opening minutes, knowing we didn't have another 'keeper on the bench. Nice, eh?

Still, this year he managed to behave himself.

did he sprain his wrist practicing his diving in training ???

Quote:
Didn't play brilliantly today

Then what we are going to be like when we do!! I look forward to seeing it. I thought we were excellent today, to keep going for 90 mins in that heat proves our fitness levels are up to full time level.