Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Team News

Margate Football Club

John Keister will be suspended for one game on Saturday 25 September following his two yellow cards at the Weymouth match and Peter Benevides will also be suspended for one game following his dismissal at Lewes. This ban will be effective from 28 September meaning he will most likely miss the 2nd round qualification for the FA Cup, the draw for which takes place on Monday 20 September.

The Manager is still looking at Daniel Bulley who has signed on a non-contract basis. Chris tells me that Daniel was previously at Plymouth, Motherwell and Grimsby Town.

There are no new injury worries.

Peter Trego has signed for The Gate on a non-contract basis. Some of you may have seen Peter play cricket for Kent before he moved on to play for Somerset. Peter, 23 is also a goalkeeper and has played for Weston Super Mare, Clevedon Town and Bristol City.

I hope those of you travelling to Maidenhead tomorrow will give Peter a warm welcome!

I saw John Prodger play many times as well and he was a good keeper.

Over the time there have been quite a few County cricketers in the Kent sides. Ramsgate had Kent fast bowler Fred Ridgway if my memory serves me correctly. I think it was Betteshanger that had Sussex batsman Ken Suttle and before the war Gravesend had Middlesex and England's Bill Edrich.

Don't forget, at a lower level, another Margate keeper Lennie Long played for Margate at football and cricket. I think Vic Pilcher did as well - not a lot of people know that!

Lennie Long still lives locally - as per his profile on a site I stumbled upon recently....

I think Alan Brown had one very good season at Margate, if only I could remember the site where I read about him...