Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HORNCHURCH

I, too, am concerned and I would be sorry to hear of another Non League club experiencing financial difficulties if that's the case. We had our problems at The Mighty Saints a few years ago and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Any knowledge of the principles of brewery loans, Gazza?

Gazza, I see that information is being sought about obtaining a loan from a brewery. I wonder if someone is looking for finance to mount another take-over crack at The Mighty Saints? Me? - I wouldn't recommend such actions myself (either brewery loans or take-overs at Clarence Park!).

Anyway, let's hope that if 'meetings' about the future of The Mighty Saints are taking place again, that the owners of the Club know about them this time, otherwise the police might have a more legitimate interest in the future!

"and sadly Eugene has repaid this by showing no loyalty to the club preferring to go to a club that are able to pay him more than double his current wages."

I think an answer is in there somewhere. Looks as though the vandals may not have had the effect some feared, which can only be good news for Braintree supporters.

No, no, no, Gazza. A brewery loan is nothing to do with vandalism. You might be thinking of the word 'victualling'. Check the Oxford English, old chap.

I heard from a pretty good source that a club in your neck of the woods is funding their bid for promotion to the next tier on the back of a £122,000 brewery loan from last season.

What happens when the money runs out though Gazza? It can't be as simple as aking for more. And I'm intrigued. Is it not necessary to repay the money? I'll make further enquiries and report back.

I've just spoken to a pal of mine Gazza. This is not my source of news from Essex but, rather a chap who has some knowledge of the principle of brewery loans.

As with many things in Non League football, the basis of the thing is pretty straightforward.

One thing's for sure, its not as simple as going to the brewery that supplies the clubhouse and saying "Look chaps. We can afford a playing budget of £1,500 a week on our income but we can have a serious crack at promotion if we spend £4,000 a week. Let us have a cheque for £150,000 and that will make up the shortfall for the next two seasons and everything will be fine. Thanks very much."

If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it.

According to my chum, the brewery that supplies a clubhouse is likely to look favourably at a request for a low-interest loan if there are plans to improve the facilities of the clubhouse such that it is likely to be selling more beer. So. If one had in mind to spend, say £150,000 on works to upgrade the clubhouse, the brewery is likely to be a good source of finance to assist.

The brewery will look for a longish term commitment to supply their beer, and, although at low interest, they will expect the loan to be repaid. Its not a gift.

That makes sense to me Gazza. I can't see how any club could fund the playing budget on that basis, however. But then, I'm a simple kind of chap.

I'll have another word with my other pal.