Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

George Best

JKiF

To those of us born in the early 60's so saw him play while at United he was probably the first hero we had, he was certainly mine. I remember seeing him play for Fulham in the same side as John Mitchell, Bobby Moore & Alan Mullery. It was Best I went to see and only him I can still remember from the match. When he played down the park much of the crowd were there to just to see him. I can only remember Keegan as also playing then I would be guessing. I recall that for the second half he was brought out by his team mates on a stretcher which was funny then but perhaps ironic now. Best is the reason so many people of my age support United (not that I do).

He really was something special on a football pitch but the thing I recall most of all is hearing him explain what being an alcoholic was and convincing me that it was an illness and not just an act of stupidity.

It is sad when your hero's die and to many of the middle aged he was a hero from our introduction to football and will be missed.

it is truly sad.. people who have never knowm someone, never seen them play, and not even given a toss about their existance a month ago are now blubbing up..

also grown men are forced to endure a minutes silence or puerile clapping for a minute.. do me a favour he was a football player 35 years ago .. big fking deal .. have a minute at old trafford if u feel the need.. no one gave a sh*t about him last month no one will next week.. grief addicts make me sick

Although over the weekend the thing seems to have become a bit too 'Princess Diana like', the reaction appears to leave you in the minority. Unless you support Liverpool or Leeds of course.

Never met him, saw him play, bought the video, love the stories, no need to apologise for feeling a bit sad at his death while getting on with my own life as well as I can.

Dont forget to tell your kid that there is no Father Christmas.