Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

At Last 1984 Has Arrived

So now the labour government are introducing a bill that allows them to change laws without recourse to parliament

The introduction of the ID card will allow the police or who! Ever to actually track an individual 24 hours a day and give immediate access to your private details including financial arrangements

This labour government has given permission to the DVLA to sell your private details entered on driving license application, including financial method of payment etc.

We need not wait any longer for 1984; this government is taking east European control freak methods beyond any level of acceptability in a democratic society

Don't forget they'd like us to shell out for the privilege as well.

Yes please, another £100-£300 on my annual bill so I can be tracked a little closer.

If it served any practical purpose, an ID card system might by beneficial. Unfortunately it doesn't, so it isn't.

The other day it was the 54th anniversary of the government of the time getting rid of ID cards to give the people their freedom.

Funny how views change.

It has been possible for some time for your financial transactions and so on to be tracked, by means of credit/debit card transactions and so on. Prior to that it has been possible to track your doings ever since the invention of banking, unless you only ever use cash, and get paid in cash. It just took a little longer.

I have absolutely no objection in principle to the introduction of compulsory ID cards. We already have conceptual ID in the form of your NI number and NHS number, driving licence number and so on. It's just a bit of card with one number on it.

However, it is most unlikely to do any good and might do some harm. Terrorists, and more to the point, benefit and immigration fraudsters, already forge passports and stuff with ease. Only having one document to forge will make their life so much easier. And make no mistake, they will.

The other point I agree on with you guys is the astounding nerve of it, in asking us to pay for it.

While I'm at it, what is the point of the plastic driving licences with your mugshot on if you still need a paper bit as well?

I'm not clear how. Under what circumstances will you have to produce your ID card? If it's every time you make a financial transaction, i.e. if retailers and service providers require it as additional proof of identity, there is little difference to the present situation. Your card transactions are all recorded anyway. It might just make it quicker and easier for Them to track you if they wanted. The solution is probably to pay cash if any retailer asks for ID - or walk away.

I do not deny that there is a creeping Big Brotherisation though. Look at all the present hoo-hah about the internet service providers having to keep details of everyone's communications for two years. now that IS an invasion of privacy!

I can't see the point of a two part driving licece. If you have to have the paper bit as well, why not stick with the old thing in teh first place?

Quote:
The Invisible Man said:
I can't see the point of a two part driving licece. If you have to have the paper bit as well, why not stick with the old thing in teh first place?

It's a fine source of revenue if everyone pockets the plastic card, forgets about the paper bit, then can't find it when they need it and have to cough up for a replacement.

That's likely the point of the exercise!

Not only producing the ID card is a problem having it on your person is a problem as the damn thing can and will be trackable similar to how they track mobil phones

The threat is that you do not have to own an ID card unless of course you are making application for a driving license or passport, I.E. 100 to £300 pounds

i reckon id cards will be a good fing so many times i cant remember my blood group or my passport number insted of fillin in forms u just give em your card details i aint bovvered wheather the fuzz know wot im up to unless doggin becums a prison sentense

then again knowing new labor theyll probably mark us down as a card carryin tory and stop my pension