Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

burton mail

JKiF

From the Burton Mail

BURTON Albion boss Nigel Clough proved hard to please despite a return to winning ways on Saturday.

Steve Scoffham’s 13th minute header — his first goal for the club — secured a narrow victory for the Brewers over St Albans City on their first-ever visit to Clarence Park.

The result helped to erase the memory of costly late goals conceded in the two previous games against Weymouth and Stafford Rangers.

But Clough was far from euphoric, despite seeing his side extend their unbeaten run to four games.

The Brewers boss told Mail Sport: "I don’t think we played as well as we did in the last two games, especially in the second half.

"We didn’t help ourselves with some of our decision-making, but at least we saw it through."

Clough was furious that Albion were denied the penalty that would have soothed their nerves late in the game when substitute Shaun Harrad was brought down — only to be booked for diving.

But the Brewers boss insisted: "Sometimes, it’s the little things that drive you mad.

"A case in point was right at the end when we had a free-kick near to the corner flag. We were trying to run down the clock and we went and played the ball to someone who was standing offside.

"However, the most important thing was that got three points and are now four games unbeaten.

"I’m delighted that Steve Scoffham got his first goal from a great ball in by Gary Rowett.

" "But for me, our goalkeeper (Kevin Poole) and Jon Shaw were outstanding.

"The back four was solid and did okay, and the skipper (Darren Stride) played well, but I thought those two were exceptional."

Albion now look forward to trying to extend their unbeaten run with games at the Pirelli Stadium against Cambridge United tomorrow and Northwich Victoria on Saturday.

Clough said: "Home games are a problem because we haven’t managed to win one this season, but at least this result should give us some spirit and confidence, because we’ve now taken eight points from our last four games."

With Keith Gilroy and Andy Ducros already on the injured list, the Brewers could also be without Andy Corbett for the visit of Cambridge, who are under the new management of Jimmy Quinn.

Corbett limped out of Saturday’s game in the 29th minute with a twisted ankle.

Clough said: "We haven’t got too many wide men, and we might have to look at bringing in someone on loan if Andy is ruled out."

The goalkeeper? The GOALKEEPER? Outstanding? OUTSTANDIING?

Perhaps he brought the music for the CD player before the game and on the coach home and the bosss liked the selections.

"Outstanding Franz Ferdinand Pooley. Brilliant mate. Thanks for that. What will you bring for next week, son?"

Probably means he was good at catching the few crosses 'we' managed to fire straight into his hands AFF. And Junior thought the light blue kit was very fetching so perhaps that! Personally, I felt sorry for the poor sponsors who had to choose a Man of the Match. My money was on the chap at the turnstiles who ensured I didn't have to queue for 20 minutes this time around!