Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

July 1st 2007

The courts are going to be filled with people who object and refuse to put out a ciggy in the street.

This law will go the same way as Maggie's poll-tax did ! Thank God !

This law has been a success in a number of other countries when there were severe doubts. If it fails here then it shows what a sorry state this land really is in.

It may take a while for people to accept this but they will, even if it is by force.

Sorry J.R. but I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Oh, yes it is enclosed spaces - inside pubs, clubs, restaurants, etc. Smoking will still be legal outside.

Quote:
Little Miss Urchin said:
This law has been a success in a number of other countries when there were severe doubts. If it fails here then it shows what a sorry state this land really is in.

Exactly. Sadly, given the sorry state that this land IS in, I'm not sure its success is guaranteed because of the likely behaviour of a f*ckwitted minority.

To me it seems so easy to get around.

well this is just a thought anyone remember the (soloon bar and public bar ) in the pubs years ago, did I not read that if you have a members only club you can smoke,

How about members barsa(smokers) non members (non smokers)

Is this also the reason the TAX(so callled congestion charge) on driving cars is going up to pay for all the lost revenue..

This law has existed here for a couple of years, and does make going to the Cinema, Restaurant, and even Bars more enjoyable for the non-smoker!

Beware though, it may be the thin edge of the wedge. As of this month smoking has been banned OUTSIDE of Hospitals, in New York State. If you want to smoke you have to leave the premises altogether!

world wide smoking ban is this the aim of the anti-smokers

Islamists ban smoking in southern Somalia

Fri 10 Nov 2006 19:24:00 GMT

By Guled Mohamed

MOGADISHU, Nov 10 (Reuters) - Somalis caught smoking or selling cigarettes risk punishment in the south-central town of Jilib, residents said on Friday of the latest strict application of sharia law by Islamists who control much of the region.

Bars buying 'smoking huts' for nicotine-starved patrons

Last Updated: Friday, November 10, 2006 | 6:26 PM ET

CBC News

As winter approaches, some Quebec bar owners have found a way to help their patrons light up cigarettes without exposing them to the elements, and perhaps without violating Quebec's tough anti-smoking laws that came into effect May 31.

It's called a smoking hut, a rigid plastic shelter with three sides and a roof, produced by a Quebec company, Rotek

Nine of the 18 cities in San Diego County, and the county itself , have banned smoking in open spaces.

oh and by the way I am an ex-snoker but if people want to smoke so be it

Quote:
Little Miss Urchin said:

It may take a while for people to accept this but they will, even if it is by force.

Sorry J.R. but I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

Oh, yes it is enclosed spaces - inside pubs, clubs, restaurants, etc. Smoking will still be legal outside.

Success? Within a week of it kicking in, in Scotland, the amount of cases of rohypnol being dropped into girls' drinks as they went outside for a fag, tripled.
The 300 bars and clubs that have shut down in Dublin and other parts of Ireland.
Who is going to police it? The powers that be are relying on the non-smokers to basically become grasses. What are the old bill going to do on a busy Friday night if they get a call from someone saying that smoking is going on in a club?
The whole thing is a farce...Legal substance but not allowed to use it...
Oh, I almost forgot. What happens to the so-called 22% who will give up smoking because of the ban (government sources). Say these people live 10 years longer...who pays their pension and what about the shortfall on the lack of excise duty from all these people who stop?

The air quality in pubs in Ireland is now worse than before the smoking ban.This is because landlords have stopped using expensive to run air conditioning units.

This happened when they banned smoking on planes,because the airlines did not have to remove the smoke in the air and bring in fresh air from outside,they now just recirculate the some air,with whatever germs that people have.Research has shown that the air quality on planes is worse than when people smoked.

Our local Political Police have said they will enforce it even in open sided bus-shelters.

The local hospital has banned it even in the grounds surrounding the premises.

Hope any official visitors to our house are smokes, coz both of us will light up if and when they call !

they were going to make a members only loophole, but then the LABOUR govt decided at the last minute to omit this form the bill.

cantos, that statement about recirculating air on planes is not correct. the pilot sets up a mix of new air and recirculated air, it is 85% new air on BA, i don't know about other airlines but all airbus,boeing, learjet and bae aircraft have this function.others may do aswell

Quote:
Big J R said:
Our local Political Police have said they will enforce it even in open sided bus-shelters.

The local hospital has banned it even in the grounds surrounding the premises.

Hope any official visitors to our house are smokes, coz both of us will light up if and when they call !

..and the only two places were it will be legal to smoke are...Parliament and in the nick....beggars belief.
Think the words divide and rule spring to mind..

Quote:
coupwotcoup said:Say these people live 10 years longer...who pays their pension and what about the shortfall on the lack of excise duty from all these people who stop?

Couldn't we just eliminate the same number of people who deserve an early demise? Like celebrities?

I've been on a long-haul flight with and without smoking allowed, with the air being so much cleaner when smoking was banned.

I have never smoked and find it sad to think that should I wish to have a drink with friends and/or family I often have to risk my health due to other people's actions. I worked in a pub a couple of years ago (thankfully not very smokey) where the landlord said he expected to switch to fully non-smoking within a few years - not because of a ban but because that's what people would want.

For a long time non-smokers have had to put up with cigarette smoke and I for one look forward to the 1st July.

I'm sure those who do smoke can hold off from puffing away whilst inside, in many situations they have to at work, but if they can't, well, I worry about someone if their life is ruled by something which has been proven to shorten lives.