Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

this saturday...

JKiF

Technology? Don't talk to me about technology.

In The City of Westminster on Saturday at midday. They have parking bays reserved for resident permit holders, some for the old meter things and some where the parker can telephone a number to pay in advance. "That's the one for me", says I and I phoned. No person, just a recorded cyborg thingy. "Enter the number of the zone", it said. "Whassthatthen?" says I, and hung up. The number is on the signboard that is not visible from the drivers seat. I ring back and the same cyborg asks the same question. No problemo, this time.

"Enter your credit card number" it says. No problemo with that one either. "Enter the first two digits of expiry date?" Yep. "Last two digits? Ditto.

"Press the key which contains the first letter of your registration number". Hmmn. Yep. "If the first letter is A, press 1, if B press 2, if C, press 3.. And on , and on, and on.

"Now press the number of minutes what you want to pay for." Hmmnnn. 4 x 60 = 240. Done.

Thanks very much. It only took about 20 minutes. This new technology lark is fantastic. I thought for a moment of Webbo. He would be proud.

However.

I paid for four hours at 12.34, thus to expire at 4.34.

I returned to the vehicle at 3.30 to find a parking ticket on the windscreen, issued at 2.30.

I phoned the City of Westminster thinking about red-hot pokers and backsides, A very nice lady who is only to be called by her Operative Number [9, in this case - could have been worse, she might have been employed after No 68, I suppose], was very sympathetic. She checked that I had followed all proper procedures by reference to my cell-phone number on her computer and confirmed that the ticket must have been issued in error. 'Jolly good', I thought. 'Erase it from the records, then'. No. The technology doesn't cope with that. I have to write in. On paper, with envellope and stamp, explaining the dcircumstances and they will then consider my complaint.

The technolgy doesn't quite extend as far as removing the penalty charge in the same way that it charges the thing in the first place.

Sigh. And you wonder why I am a Luddite.

Who scored for Waitrose on Saturday then, Laz? 2-2 against Sainsburys wasn't it? That fair haired lad who does the trolleys has a mean looking left foot. Available for 7 million quid, I heard from that nice Danny Hunter.

Good thought, Brotherhood.

If you have aspirations to be a Football agent [Mr 120% with intellectual property rights exclusively payable, in full, to t'lad], you would do well to sign up the trolley dollies from the local supermarkets.

Watch out for Gary Calder and Danny Hunter, mind.