Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Attacking corner options

michael

All praise for the win, as its results that count,but i do want to be a bit critical of our tactics at attacking corners.

We had quite a few, but never looked like scoring from them which is poor and a complete waste.

Delivery was not too bad-a bit soft and floaty-but better than last season- whereas a bit more pace giving defenders less time would be better imo;but overall, i could not understand the tactics of 3 Gate players-DH,JP and JS all on the goal line.

Two on the line to impede the keeper i can understand but two can do what three can do so there was a wasted player.

In particular, i remember from 4 seasons ago a few Jay power headers from 6 yard box-that is where he should be-attacking the ball-not static on the goal line.

Apart from the 3 on line, we just had RT on penalty spot and needless to say he was out numbered by defenders.

I think on one occasion only; PS joined RT at a corner halfway through the second half, and had the closest header from a corner all game.

We need 2 players` on line and 3 to attack the ball and faster still delivery at corners.

Imo , this needs a close look at, as we are wasting these attacking opportunities and never look like scoring .

Discuss ?

Guess its all about opinions and how we see the game diferent, but personally thought we looked like pussycats at corners both yesterday and in most of the games i have seen.

From the number of corners we get, i think our goals achieved is pretty poor.

Remember one at Horsham,and thats about it; and whilst only seeing about a third of the games, it does not strike me that we look threatening at corners-all huff but no real threat.

Really do think we need a bit of training ground re-organistation and brain power given to this one.

Yer Micheal its a good point. I can remember Everton manager liking three players on the line,one on the near post, one on the rear and one on the keeper. Suppose its down to RT. But do agree with you I would like to see more players attacking from edge of the penalty box.

I must say: I think our attacking options from corners have been better this year than in many past years. Trotty, Jay, Abbo and Macca are all good headers of the ball. And I have lost count the number of times Proths has whipped a corner into the near post for Danny to nip in front of his marker and get one on target (first goal at Bromley springs to mind).

Jay got the winner from a corner against Folkestone from well inside the 6-yard box, so it's not a wasted tactic.

Also, on Saturday RT had a couple of solid goal-bound headers from corners which didn't quite make the net.

I think our tactics are correct and we look dangerous at corners.

Must have blinked when RT had those headers, but did see PS have a good effort on his one foray forward at a corner.

Maybe with fewer people on the goalline, RT's headers would have had a better chance of making the net,and not hitting one of the many bodies in the 6 yard box.

As generally, RT is the only attacker in the penalty area apart from the 3 guys on the line,he must be pretty easy to mark, as 95%of corners will be aimed at him.Maybe thats part of the reason as to why RT has only got one goal so far this season.

Its all about opinions,but we certainly don't look dangerous at corners to me !!

Hopefully we have now had a few training sessions and sorted this one.

Looking at a few games on telly-especially lower league ones- and one live game;have never seen anyone else put three attackers on the goalline and just one in the rest of the box-daft and wasted tactic.

Hopefully we've abandonned it;and may just score a few more from our corners in future