Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Message for Cyclops - "New Beer" at the star.

Steph

Hi

I was at the North Star in Burnham yesterday after a day spent working on the boat and I thoroughly enjoyed 3 pints of Old Trip. It was delightfully dry though, perhaps served slightly colder than necessary. 4.3% ABV. I dont usually take the guest beer at the star preferring IPA as it is lighter. However the only IPA available was keg and the other pump was Ruddles County which I always find is too heavy.

I had not heard of the brewery before "Hardy and Hansons" and on the pump it stated it has been brewing since 1832. I have looked on the internet and understand that the brewery, in Nottingham, has been taken over by Green King. Is the beer still brewed in Nottingham.

I understand you dont post on here any more so PM me or chat about it at PBT.

BTW got on well with the jobs on the boat. Only got to put in a new pulley race for the new winches I have put on the coach roof and anti foul it again then we are all set for Wivenhoe!

Steph,

I don't just not post here (usually), I don't bother reading this forum any more. I only usually log on here to read the Board Room and Site Suggestions forums and pick up any PMs. I was alerted to your message by someone else.

Hardys & Hansons has indeed been taken over by Greene King. There beer was OK but never my favourite as I don't particularly like beer which is supposed to be poured through a sparkler. H&H has only been around since the 1930s when the two breweries merged. 1832 is when Hardys started brewing. Hansons was later.

If Ruddles and Morlands are anything to go by, the H&H recipes will be changed so that they have the same proportions of different grains (so the grist can be made up "wholesale"). That's why Old Speckled Hen now tastes so mucxh like Abbot.

I am currently boycotting GK pubs and beers because the company doesn't seem to give a toss about its customers. And I still can't figure out why they call a bog standard session beer "IPA". If you get the chance to try Marston's Old Empire on draught or Meatime IPA (bottled or draught) you will find out what IPA is supposed to taste like. I avoid Old Empire in bottles because they insist on using clear glass and the beer will become light-struck under fluorescent lighting.

Here endeth the lesson.

--

Cyclops

Actually Broadside may well be on it's way out! Yip as we don't sell enough of it.

The good news is we have 2 good looking Hookers turn up, in order to celebrate the 6 nations !

BTW - if it is for sale and even if it's not Greene King buy it!

also Charles Wells in Bedford now brew Courage and Youngs, like every other industry the big get bigger........