Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Windows Vista - what a load of expensive Cr@p!

I downloaded the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor this morning and ran it to see if my PC could handle this new Microsoft Product. As my PC is moderately powerful, being an IBM Thinkpad T43 about a year old with a 2.00GHz processor and 1.5Gig of ram, it would be a good test to find out.

It went though a diagnostic routine and eventually produced a report which said:

1. It told me that my PC could handle Vista, which was not a surprise, but

2. It then produced a list of things on it that a) would not work with Vista, like the IBM Trackpoint mouse and McAfee Firewall, which it then told me, would never work with it. Amazingly, the list included some of their own products like MSN Messenger which would not work with it - so much for backward compatibility!

3. It then produced an enormous list of things which would not work without tweaking, many of which it would be embarrassing if they did not work. The responsibility for making these work was apparently entirely down to me. Surely, they should be making their product work with what's out there?

4. It was kind enough to create a task list of things I needed to do to make Vista work properly which I estimate would be at least a month's work to find out what the items were, plus contacting the software or hardware vendors to find if they had Vista compatible new drivers and then to download and install them. I really don't think I have either the time or the patience to go through the process which will also cost quite a lot of money to upgrade to Vista, not to mention cost terms of in techie help if I get into trouble, just to get their new product to work.

Obviously it is just a ploy to get you to invest in a complete and very expensive suite of Microsoft products and ditch the investment of money, time and effort you have made in other provider's products, since they will not guarantee that they will work with Vista.

Basically my conclusions from this report is that anybody with any sense should not touch it with a barge pole. It is too big, too expensive, and will kill a lot of the investment you have made in other software, plus it is far too much work to get your PC running again properly. As far as I can see I am well served with the operating systems (XP) and software I have currently in use for the foreseeable future. (Apparently, one of the worries Microsoft have is that many IT Directors are saying they have had enough problems getting people upgraded to XP and Office 2003, to be wanting to change before 3 to 5 years from now!)

I have to confess to having given up on windows owing to a major allergy to XP... Now my Windows ME PC is nearly in the great silicon graveyard in the sky I've made the plunge and bought an iMac... Not quite sure it's worth the extra ££££ but I do like the infra red remote control for playing music and such like - it's like a massively cool jukebox that I can operate from the sofa!

The music was about the only thing I liked my iMac for when I had one. I'd never go back to Mac because they aren't compatible with too many things.

So far, there have been 16 major problems reported with Vista, so far, according to an IT friend of hubby's.

Originally Posted By: Stu M
Originally Posted By: Andrew S

a) current version of AOL will not run on Vista and requires a new 'Vista Ready' version

Mind you, is that solely a Microsoft problem? AOL can be so fussy about certain things, would never use them as my ISP.

Agree with your comments on AOL, Stu, but I go back to my original point - they are a major player in the email arena, but here we have MS again saying "We have this wonderful new operating system, and we've made sure nobody else's software will work with it when you install it out of the box - tough sh*t - your problem"

The alternative marketing message should have been "We've produced this new operating system which we have tested extensively to make sure it works with all major third party software, to protect the investment you have already made."

Fat chance from these greedy, arrogant b*stards!

Originally Posted By: Stu M
Get a Mac.... wink

Goin' flashing, Stu ?

Seriously though, folks......

Anything NEW that Mr Gates brings out, ALWAYS has teething problems.

I'm just remembering the problems I had after downloading Service Pack 2 for X/P home.

Leave well alone until Mr Gates has got his fly-spray out and got rid of all the bugs !

• 3 weeks later...

There's a question I have seen on an IT Website where a guy asks if anybody else has noticed how XP has slowed down now Vista has been released, presumably suggesting that any upgrades for XP coming through contain something to slow it down.

I had a strange upgrade come through which it tried to load automatically called the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" which it says it will send your computer details to Microsoft and they will then let you know if your MS software is genuine and then "help" you get proper copies and remind you until you do. Oh yeah? What else does it do?

Has anybody noticed anything like that?

For what it costs, and what it actually 'does', I'm afraid its not for me !

If it ain't broke, don't mend it !

It's another B.G. moneyspinner.