Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

No. I have no wish to.

I have no problem with "captured" (kidnapped, illegaly detained) servicemen/women going along with the farce of appearing on TV, saying how naughty we are and the rest of it. I understand they are actually advised to do so in order to increase the chances of their survival, and it has no military or morale effect as it is obvious to everyone in the West that they are speaking/writing under coercion: in fact the propaganda value is all in favour of the West.

I suppose I cannot object to their writing accounts of the incident AFTER they leave the service. I am an avid reader of (among other things) autobiographies from WW2 (and WW1) and there is, I suppose, a direct parallel.

However, I cannot agree with them selling their stories while still in the service. This is distasteful in the extreme, if nothing else.

I would hope that they all donate their fees to service charities and it doesn't happen again.

Mixed feelings about this.

Tony Bliar and Co. seem to be pleased to see them home but have done absolutely fck all about retaliatory measures.

No change there, then !

Expel all Iranian diplomats, I say !

Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man

However, I cannot agree with them selling their stories while still in the service.

Particularly when the stories aren't all that interesting anyway. They weren't there very long, they weren't as badly treated as others might be in wartime (Adrian Nicoll and Jon Peters in the first Gulf War got it much worse) and if they had to sell their story then most if not all of the money should have gone to charities for veterans (I think in fact one of the group did do that).

But a six-figure sum for Turney's 'story'... must have been a slow news week.

I was in London all day yesterday with No 2 Son-in-Law, and as we were driving past a kerbside Iranian restaurant/cafe, there were two arabs kicking a punching the [****!!****] out of each other.

I hadn't the heart to ask 'em if either of 'em wanted me to send the navy in !

(The 'punch-up' part is very true !)