Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

On this day.....

Also born today..

1969 - Ice Cube, Bayern Munich Custodian, and Lion impersonator

1969 - Oliver Kahn, Gangstar Rapper

1972 - Marcus Hahnemann, Baldie Reading Keeper

1973 - Neil Patrick Harris, Dougie Houser MD

1973 - Tore André Flo

1976 - Gary Lightbody out of Snow Patrol

1985 - Nadine Coyle from girls aloud (hubba hubba)

Originally Posted By: Bitch
Originally Posted By: Hookey
Died today: My dad 1975 (It was Fathers Day too) and Whispering Grass was No.1

frown That's sad Hookey. And with Fathers Day this coming Sunday it's horrible for anyone without one.

we've all got one...just some of them are spiritual not mortal...

On this day.....we finished clearing out my Dad's flat, him having died four weeks ago, which was all they gave us to do it. Arrived home to discover the insensitive b*stards who have been phoned, emailed and written to to tell them, sent him a letter to appear at a rent review hearing, complaining he had not completed a form, which I had sent back to say he had died......

Telephoned the guy who signed the letter who said it was nothing to do with him, he just signed the letters......

Dad was a bright 92 year-old who had just passed stage 2 CLAIT, and did his weekly shopping on the net. Tiscali were also told he had died, been sent a death certificate but still wrote to him to say they were sorry he was transferring his ISP elsewhere, but not to stop his standing order as they still had money to collect.....

Welcome to UK 2007! Jobsworths rule!

Sorry - sore points at the moment!

Originally Posted By: Andrew S
On this day.....we finished clearing out my Dad's flat, him having died four weeks ago, which was all they gave us to do it. Arrived home to discover the insensitive b*stards who have been phoned, emailed and written to to tell them, sent him a letter to appear at a rent review hearing, complaining he had not completed a form, which I had sent back to say he had died......

Telephoned the guy who signed the letter who said it was nothing to do with him, he just signed the letters......

Dad was a bright 92 year-old who had just passed stage 2 CLAIT, and did his weekly shopping on the net. Tiscali were also told he had died, been sent a death certificate but still wrote to him to say they were sorry he was transferring his ISP elsewhere, but not to stop his standing order as they still had money to collect.....

Welcome to UK 2007! Jobsworths rule!

Sorry - sore points at the moment!

parallex view andrew....we would all settle for 92 and the bollox from the robots in not worthy of upset....92 years is a life well lived...

Originally Posted By: Uncle Urchin
Originally Posted By: Bitch
Originally Posted By: Hookey
Died today: My dad 1975 (It was Fathers Day too) and Whispering Grass was No.1

frown That's sad Hookey. And with Fathers Day this coming Sunday it's horrible for anyone without one.

we've all got one...just some of them are spiritual not mortal...

Thanks Jane and well said Unc!!!

To be honest, since I became a Dad myself 19 years ago, I no longer dread the advent of Father's Day. I believe stuff happens for a reason and my Dad's passing was the making of me, even if it was a month before my 16th birthday. I learned independence and self belief. It certainly came in handy 7 months later when mum too passed away.

Andrew mate, that is very sad and you have my condolences. It is also very shocking but what is even more shocking is that I'm not that surprised. Some of these callous pen-pushers have no idea of the hurt they cause with their standard letters/emails to a grieving family.

BTW, Hookey was my dad's nickname, which is why I use it on here!!

Well said Hookey smile

For Andrew, insensitivity from big organisations hurt when your feelings are so raw. All you can do is write to them and express your distress to hopefully bring about a change in their standard of care. Your Dad had a wonderful innings at 92, though it doesn't make it any easier for those of you who have had him around for the whole of your lives.

I think we can all take consolation from the happy memories and knowledge that people around us do care, even strangers.

crikey...whilst reading over the thread I have just realised it was 10 years ago yesterday that barney my dad died....how spooky is that and yet I never looked at the date..thought it was today.....my old man still rings out in my ears every day and I see and hear the kids doing things he did and saying things that he said without realsing it....

one of our dogs is called barney and he's just like the old man...mad as a hatter ... laugh

lost loved ones live on in many ways....

Thanks folks - he did have a good innings and we were struck by the number of people of all sorts who came up and said "He was a lovely man". Because he had all his marbles and there had been no indication is what made it a surprise - even to him, he had just taken in his Tesco order!

As Unc says - it is part of the natural order - just makes me mad that when you have a lot to do, you realise how incompetent many organisations are - but there - everybody knows it that it is almost a given......