Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Billericay 1-1 Chelmsford

Simon BTFC

Not being an accountant, I wouldn't know about these things. But if a club can boast of early season average crowds of say, just over a 1,000, I'd imagine that would look good to any potential investors/sponsors. Difference between declaring say 1,000 as opposed to 750, how much would that cost? Again I don't know. It's an old marketing ploy.

Have to agree BC why would they want to overstate att

Say Chelmsford were to overstate by say 200 adults a game at nine a game that would work out over a 21 game season at more than five grand extra paid to HMRC

The att may look smaller at Chelmos poxy athletics staduim due to fans being so much further away from one another than at other non athletics stadiums grounds

Take Hornchurch last week personally I didn't think it was a 1000+ att but again why would Hornchurch want to pay more to HMRC

Originally Posted By: Balmoral Claret
Once again, speaking as an accountant - from a VAT point of view, it would be senseless to overstate attendances (unless you derive some sort of perverted enjoyment from paying money over to H M Revenue & Customs)

Although just a wild guess on my part, I'd suggest that HMRC would only be interested in the actual amount of gate money taken, the crowd figure declared would be only of a passing credibility-type interest.

Originally Posted By: jl
Originally Posted By: Balmoral Claret
Once again, speaking as an accountant - from a VAT point of view, it would be senseless to overstate attendances (unless you derive some sort of perverted enjoyment from paying money over to H M Revenue & Customs)

Although just a wild guess on my part, I'd suggest that HMRC would only be interested in the actual amount of gate money taken, the crowd figure declared would be only of a passing credibility-type interest.

You're quite correct there jl - but we would only need to convince HMRC that 90% of the attendance were concessions in order to mimimise the actual income. Not that ANY club would even THINK of doing that though.

Average Home Attendances 2007/08

Billericay Town 1,088

Chelmsford 1,007

Not forgetting that most of your att. has been made up of the faithful Clarets, whom would consider NL a home game anyway!!!!

Lets see a few Tuesday night winter games with riccay bringing in 290 fans, and see that average fall.

But, I'm glad we have increased a fellow non league clubs gate..lol

All in all a fair result. Chelmo possibly edged the first half and we edged the second half. We kept their chances down and they kept our chances down. But i think neither team on a pychological point of view wanted to lose this game. It was a typical big derby game -

I say well done to our lads, cos many of the chelmo players have dropped leagues for the love of the Ryman and it proves time and again we will match it !

A tad annoying about the tannoy being ripped down behind the goal in the first half, but i understand this is being sorted by our friends.

Anyway, onwards we go - Come On You Blues ! smile

Fair do's LF, 400/450 is a decent away crowd for this level of football. Made a bit of noise, but still can't touch the Blue Army.

Do you know who ripped down the tannoy? What with you being plod an all, you maybe able to 'ave a word in their shell like?

Quote:
Fair do's LF, 400/450 is a decent away crowd for this level of football. Made a bit of noise, but still can't touch the Blue Army.

Do you know who ripped down the tannoy? What with you being plod an all, you maybe able to 'ave a word in their shell like?

Banter apart, it was a great atmosphere from the fans view and a great crowd on any ground.

I was not right next to the tannoy, but someone said that an individual did jump up in excitement and it fell off. I did see it on the ground as I walked to the loo's at half time and it didn't looked ripped off as such. I would have been extremely disappointed if any of the Chelmo fans did it in anger/ criminal.

Everyone knows how hard the vols work to keep a ground ship shape for the next game, and someone doing that would be very disappointing.

Here's something I worked out this week... make of it what you will.

In the last 2 and a bit seasons we've played Chelmsford 6 times (not counting a mickey-mouse cup game), 3 at New Lodge and 3 at the athletics stadium. The results are:

1) BTFC 4-2 CCFC

2) CCFC 2-1 BTFC

3) CCFC 2-2 BTFC

4) BTFC 2-1 CCFC

5) CCFC 1-1 BTFC*

6) BTFC 1-1 CCFC

On the face of it that looks pretty good for us- 2 wins and one defeat...

What is remarkable is that in five of those games Chelmsford have held the lead - going on to win only once. In each case the lead was held at some stage in the second half.

What is more remarkable still is that in two of those games [(1) and (3)], chelmsford held a two goal lead - and won neither.

I'm sure there are plenty of possible reasons why this could be... It's long been suggested that King is not as strong on the fitness of his players as he might be, but then Ming was manager for the 1st two so that might not be it. Matt suggested in the press that he felt we didn't relax until we went a goal down on Saturday - then we started playing better (for more of Matt's thought's on the game, buy the Leyton programme wink ) -perhaps we're slow starters. There's no doubt that there's a strong never-say-die attitude at the club, some of our best performances of recent seasons have been with our backs against the wall...

History, history, history.

Irelevent in my book the only game that matters is when we play against each other the next time. It might be the title decider, it might be who gets relegated (surely not), The F A Cup 2nd Round, the Essex Senior Cup (What that competition!)who knows.

Mondays battle was a dullish draw, how many were there from each club again irelevent. From the sidelines CCFC supporters were the noisest in the first half, Billericay especially when 1 down became the noisest in the second half. (Lesson for us all there)

But at the end of the day a draw, 1 point each, stalemate.

One looks forward to our next meeting, but I'm sure we will be both looking at the table/draw in the meantime.

Thanks for the hospitality.

Agreed,a dullish draw,neither side looked all that clever to me(pretty poor really),Chelmo prob edged it and were better of the two.

Its gonna be Dons,for the title,with you two in the play offs,with Celmo clear favs.

On the gate question,It is obvious Ricay have got a lot more to lose by not playing Chelmo or Dons next season as will prob be the case.

Yes,you are right on that one,if you were to leave them behind,which you really dont want to happen.

How would you cope on just 4-500 gates?....which is your true average even with a winning side.If your'e honest.

Dont forget its cold in the Connie South no travelling fans to speak off.

Cope... with a team like ours and the real prospect of promotion this season - It is a worry.

Praps we'll ask Braintree, Fisher, Thurrock, or Western-Super-Mare, Maybe, Lewis, St Albans Cambridge Bognor.

And if they don't tell us how its done, we could try, Dorchester, Welling, Sutton or Hayes.

If none of them will tell us how to survive without the support and financial help we receive form AFC Wombles and Chelmo, I guess we'll fold - or maybe, we won't.

So TC are you saying as the owner of a football club, that a good 1.5 k gate, bar receipts, burger cash returns, all the extra lottery tickets sold, doesn't help to balance the books, and make things just a bit easier for an owner???....and you don't just cross your fingers and hope that AFC and Chelmo get motivated enough to bring a fair few bods?

No....???

(even in the connie south the gates are not that good!, and the question above has no inference on how you would cope on promotion as I have no doubt you would)

....and as the owner of a football club when the fixtures came out you didn't have a wry smile that you'd got Chelmo on a bank holiday with a possible gate of 1500, or would you have prefered Leyton????????