Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Where are they now?

andyetfc

In the matchday programme from 23 November 2002, it was reported that there were over 300 members of the ETFC society.

The current number has been reported as 134. As the club has grown considerably during the last 6 years, can anyone explain why the membership has not grown as well and also why it has fallen?

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
In the matchday programme from 23 November 2002, it was reported that there were over 300 members of the ETFC society.

The current number has been reported as 134. As the club has grown considerably during the last 6 years, can anyone explain why the membership has not grown as well and also why it has fallen?

The cost of being a member doubling to a tenner may have put some people off?

Yes.I never seem to know when membership starts for the season.As such,i baulk at paying £10 at any given stage, to then have the prospect of paying another tenner a few months down the line.Could someone tell us what date the memebership started for the new season (and is that the same date for every new season).

I agree, the renewal system does seem to be rather haphazard. A renewal notice nees to be sent to all members in plenty of time before the renewal date. A reminder should then be sent to any member not renewing by then. A final notice should then be sent at an appropriate time - two or three months after renewal date. This is not rocket science, it's broadly what every other organization does.

I don't think we even get contacted at all apart from a notice on the website. I might have got an email, not sure. I know they had a wrong address down for me at one time - I was confused with Invisible Young Man. There is no acknowledgment or membership card or anything. I actually queried this on here a year or two ago and was met with some scorn and derision, but one (then) board member personally sorted it out for me by PM, as a favour rather than as part of his duties I believe.

This is rather similar to the AGM notice and agenda procedure, which if memory serves was not in accordance with the Constitution in respeect of adequate written notice etc. It might seem picky but these things have to be done.

I think ten quid is very reasonable in this day and age. Maybe one day we can offer some small priveliges for members, like a Member Only bar or stand or something.

lest we forget"

the club is run be volunteers, who in the main have full time jobs, families, a social life (nasty rumour) etc as well as trying to run ETFC and now some will take on the additional responsibilites of Goldsdown Sports.

I am not here to defend the board, but if people want to see an improvement, then get involved.

The membership renewal, newletters etc can be run from any part of the globe, even Yorkshire, ok maybe not Yorkshire, but anywhere that has a postal system, so why doesn't someone else take it on?

You don't have to join the board to get involved, in fact my own view is if you actually want to do something don't join the board, as outsiders or creative thinkers are not welcome.

However if you do want to join the board, then is a good time to do it as there are vacancies, and as far as I know not many people standing

There is a set day for renewal and it is the same every year....

1st June.

There is an application form downloadable on the web site. I believe it has also been in the programme

I renewed and did not download one. I didn't pick one up from the club either. So i must have got mine by post with the newsletter or agm notice ...

Hope this helps....

Membership has to be worked at and fans reminded that they are the club. When I was Membership Secretary I went round distributing forms and a clipboard collecting completed forms and money. These days there are fewer and fewer directors willing to do that footwork. It may even suit some board members to keep the membership limited so they get re-elected each time with no problems. But this is not good for the long term health of our club as the gates continue to decline.

I was recently told Tottenham have one home game before Christmas 2007 so why aren't we going out and getting those local fans to come to Town games? 209 for FA Cup game on a Saturday is nothing to be proud of.

Might be able to kill a few birds with the one stone.

Saw you were looking for new ideas in your programme and you are wondering why crowds are down as well as the difficulties of getting someone to do the leg work signing up and collecting the fees.

Not necessarily a new idea but did work for local rugby club.

Coupons in the programme for new membership (you may already have this...I haven't seen a programme) with another coupon entered on match day for a lucky membership draw for a bar tab (the local rugby club was sponsored by a local pub)or member at the ground predicts the score or first scorer which has the capacity to jackpot and get more members to the ground.

Also given the excellent photos I've seen online...a photo of a member at the game and a bio...people love seeing their photo and details about themselves in print.

Another fearless prediction ETFC 3 Bury Town 1.

We do print membership coupon in prog.Plus we have a 50/50 draw,and a golden goal prize,but we do need to find schemes to attract more people.Free tickets for schools and clubs..etc.

Ok.Losing play-offs, rather than being promoted in the past two seasons hasn't helped.I don't personally believe our crowds are dropping .Our crowds have been very consistant since our formation.we always get 200-300 for league games.209 for a preliminary round FA cup game is par for the course(especially as season tickets are not added to the gate).So whilst i dissagree with the assumption that out crowds are going down,i do think we need to find a way to increase the gates by 50 or so.And yes, promotion will probably be the best way of achieving that aim.

Crowds are one thing, but Andy's point was that membership has fallen. I'm a member but rarely add to the attendance figures! I seem to recall that when we first formed we had a membership of around 400.

I suspect that after the first flush of enthusiasm many people just can't be @rsed to renew their membership. Pity.