Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Stewarding

It was good to see a few more stewards in evidence last night but it didn't seem to stop the bad language, and while there were no plastic glasses in evidence I saw a few people openly drinking from glass bottles on the terraces. I don't want to start a row over this but I do think more could be done. Regards.

This seems like as good a place as any to discuss last night. I do rather wonder why "Disgruntled Fan" is suddenly concerned about the language at Clarence Park. Why has this issue suddenly become such a hot potato? There's a part of me here that just wants to scream. You're at a football match, for heaven's sake. "Industrial" language, so far as I can see, comes with the territory. I don't recall any singing containing sexual swearwords, so is "Disgruntled Fan" suggesting that anybody who shouts a swearword should be ejected from the ground? Because if he is, there'll only be about 50 people left in the ground by the end of a match. <p>If the language is completely vile and his/her sensibilities are mortally offended, might I suggest that he complains to a steward during the match rather than whining about it on the website the next day? If he's a father/mother with young children, then might I suggest that he stands along the side where it's generally quieter. If you stand within earshot of a bunch of 16-23 year old men, what exactly do you expect to hear? Discussions on Wittgenstein? Profiterole recipes? You're at a football match. <p>As for the drink issue: the amount of alcohol consumed in the ground last night was negligible. Everybody knows that. In spite of a refereeing performance that couldn't have been scripted better in terms of winding up The Firm, there were no assaults on anyone & no objects thrown onto the pitch. I didn't particularly notice anybody complaining about language, and I certainly didn't see hoards of unwashed hooligans swearing in the faces of young children. <p>I can only conclude one of the following:<p>1. "Disgruntled Fan" is a wind-up merchant (possibly a resident or York Road) - in which case he should be ignored.<p>2. "Disgruntled Fan" is a parent who takes young children to a game. If this is the case, then the only thing that I can say is that it's hardly cramped at Clarence Park, and there are plenty of places to stand or sit where you'll hear no language of any sort, least of all offensive.<p>3. "Disgruntled Fan" is a prudish buffoon who'd rather the atmosphere at a football match was more like the atmosphere at a snooker tournament.

<p>As I've said before, I've been going to the Park for not far short of 20 years, and language on the terraces has never been an issue, probably because most of the people who go are aware that they are at a football match, and bad language is what you hear at a football match. I shall be paying no further attention to anything he says.

I do think you have taken it too far! I think swearing is an issue because is drives away families from coming down the park. you cannot move and not hear it if u shout and sing it at the top of your voice!<p>But then again i think it makes it more of an atmosphere weather there is children or not!

It takes a while to see results. Watching football is a habit but once the habit has been broken it is hard to restart it.<p>Football attendance at Ryman level is affected by many things - Grand National/xmas shopping/rugby internationals etc. <p>If it is just one off games you won't see too much difference you need to perservere and get people back into the habit of watching your team. <p>but then I am biased as I have three children and have an interest in clubs keeping down prices.

I have been visiting football grounds of all standards from (old)division one through to Ryman Div 3 for the last 30 years and I have to say that the behaviour of fans is probably better now than at any time in that period.<p>At least nowadays perhaps with one or two notable exceptions you can actually reach the ground without fearing for your safety. <p>As others have said swearing etc is part of football and I tend to think that at most matches you hear far worse from the players and management than you do from the stands. I personally do not swear but then I tend not to in the rest of my life. I feel that a point can be more forceably expressed without obscenities.<p>I take my children to football (aged 5,9,and 11) and take the view that swearing is part of life and they need to learn not to be shocked by it but learn not to use it. By and large they do not swear either.<p>Stewards and clubs need to take an adult view and take action when it is particularly obscene either in the words used or in the length of time the abuse continues. Racial or religous abuse in football (and in society) should be acted on immediately. Reacting to a fan telling a player or official that he is "effing useless" would probably be seen as draconian unless this becomes a match long tirade. <p>I have not noticed any problems with saints fans having seen two of your games this season. Everyone seemed very happy and well behaved even though you lost unexpectedly on one occasion.

£22 for a family I think puts off more families than the language (with due respect to the views of Mr Gibson.)<p>My local club charges

£4 adults

£2 Concessions including under 18, Students, OAPS, UB40 holders,

£1 for accompanied children under 16

Free for members of the youth team<p>Therefore I pay £7 plus programmes or £11 if I take "the wife"<p>This attracts a good family atmosphere although this can have its downside as young children tend to get bored and want to play not watch football after a while.<p>The league does have minimum charges but this applies only to the main adult rate. imaginative uses of discounts attracts many more groups. St Albans have to charge at least £6 i think in the Prem. but could discount from this for certain groups.<p>Just some thoughts for you to ponder

I have been charged between £10 (Kidderminster, a non-league ground anyway) and £17 (Orient, to pay for the over-active stewards I presume) at Third Division grounds I've visited this season. And the football hasn't always been of a much better standard...<p>Personally I don't think a rise to £8 is unreasonable, and that the drop in concession prices is fair. I think we probably ought to have a student concession, on showing the relevant card of course, and that there should be free entry for up to, say, age 5 or 6 (or do we already have that)?

people say it's expensive 2 take your family 2 the city. but remember we are 2 leagues from the football league. top clubs charge £75 for a family ticket. and if they were going to take them to say lego land then it's £50 to get in and thats without food. and the local club that chrges £4 for a adult must be some one like london cloney who play a t a boring level of football.