Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Why i will be voting 'NO'...

clowntown

...when the vote on the G&N takeover comes up on MyFC.

Partly because the opposition of a sizeable part of the G&N support as evidenced by this forum suggests you don't want/deserve this money. As far as I can see, this is essentially an act of charity on behalf of the MyFC signees (that "you choose the team" business MyFC push is so obviously never going to happen) and it is being rejected by many G&N fans based on what strike me as the most fallacious of arguments.

People are moaning that the people who set MyFC up are getting £7.50 of each sub - what's the problem? There would be no pot of money collected without them, and this fee works out (21% of funds raised) as easily comparable with what most charities spend on admin. Look in the job ads to see how much charity fund raisers earn (60k pa is average!). Charities pay very well, so why shouldn't internet 'trusts'?

People are moaning that signees should invest in their local clubs instead - what difference would that make? A tiny one. 20,000 lots of £27.50 is over half a million quid, enough to transform a non-league club, whereas twenty lots of £27.50 given to each of a thousand different clubs across the country would be £550 per club - wow!

The arguments people are coming up with are so ilogical and flawed as to be comical and as far as I'm concerned are just a smokescreen for the real problem a lot of G&N fans have with the takeover - you simply don't want to get any bigger or higher profile. Call it conservatism or lack of ambition, there's nothing wrong with it, but at least be honest enough to admit it rather than arguing about £7.50s. It's not G&N fans' £7.50s, it's MyFC members' £7.50s, and if we're happy to hand it over, then with the greatest respect, what's it got to do with you?

Secondly, G&N is the last club I would want to get this sort of investment for reasons of self interest. I'm a Charlton fan (ST holder for 23 years before someone accuses me of being a Premier league glory boy!) and we have planning permission to take our ground capacity up to 40,000 at some point in the future. The business model for utilising this capacity is based on 'growing' supporters amongst the 50,000 or so new homes being built in North Kent as part of the Thames Gateway project, as well as expanding the subsidised coaches we run to games from around Kent & Sussex (to the annoyance of the Jills, G&N, Brighton et al).

Having a high profile league club looking to move to a new modern stadium - which is where I believe G&N will be within 2-3 years with the MyFC investment - located right at the heart of the Thames Gateway area will be a bad thing for Charlton in terms of expanding our fan base. We'd be competing to win over the same potential fans.

Consequently, for these two reasons (G&N fans' attitude and this Charlton fan's self-interest) I will be voting 'NO' to the G&N takeover and urging other MyFC members to do the same.

I also think blindly accepting the first option put in front of us is totally wrong. In an ideal world, I'd like the MyFC bosses to present us with all the options (the eight or nine clubs we could potentially take over) and let US, rather than they, whittle it down to one.

As an exercise in democracy, the whole thing has already failed.

Originally Posted By: clowntown

Partly because the opposition of a sizeable part of the G&N support as evidenced by this forum suggests you don't want/deserve this money. As far as I can see, this is essentially an act of charity on behalf of the MyFC signees (that "you choose the team" business MyFC push is so obviously never going to happen) and it is being rejected by many G&N fans based on what strike me as the most fallacious of arguments.

People are moaning that the people who set MyFC up are getting £7.50 of each sub - what's the problem? There would be no pot of money collected without them, and this fee works out (21% of funds raised) as easily comparable with what most charities spend on admin. Look in the job ads to see how much charity fund raisers earn (60k pa is average!). Charities pay very well, so why shouldn't internet 'trusts'?

People are moaning that signees should invest in their local clubs instead - what difference would that make? A tiny one. 20,000 lots of £27.50 is over half a million quid, enough to transform a non-league club, whereas twenty lots of £27.50 given to each of a thousand different clubs across the country would be £550 per club - wow!

The arguments people are coming up with are so ilogical and flawed as to be comical and as far as I'm concerned are just a smokescreen for the real problem a lot of G&N fans have with the takeover - you simply don't want to get any bigger or higher profile. Call it conservatism or lack of ambition, there's nothing wrong with it, but at least be honest enough to admit it rather than arguing about £7.50s. It's not G&N fans' £7.50s, it's MyFC members' £7.50s, and if we're happy to hand it over, then with the greatest respect, what's it got to do with you?

Secondly, G&N is the last club I would want to get this sort of investment for reasons of self interest. I'm a Charlton fan (ST holder for 23 years before someone accuses me of being a Premier league glory boy!) and we have planning permission to take our ground capacity up to 40,000 at some point in the future. The business model for utilising this capacity is based on 'growing' supporters amongst the 50,000 or so new homes being built in North Kent as part of the Thames Gateway project, as well as expanding the subsidised coaches we run to games from around Kent & Sussex (to the annoyance of the Jills, G&N, Brighton et al).

Having a high profile league club looking to move to a new modern stadium - which is where I believe G&N will be within 2-3 years with the MyFC investment - located right at the heart of the Thames Gateway area will be a bad thing for Charlton in terms of expanding our fan base. We'd be competing to win over the same potential fans.

Consequently, for these two reasons (G&N fans' attitude and this Charlton fan's self-interest) I will be voting 'NO' to the G&N takeover and urging other MyFC members to do the same.

I also think blindly accepting the first option put in front of us is totally wrong. In an ideal world, I'd like the MyFC bosses to present us with all the options (the eight or nine clubs we could potentially take over) and let US, rather than they, whittle it down to one.

interesting points there CT and one much after my own heart.....

democracy is fine so long as you keep it away from the people
grin

oh and by the way admin...if you are gonna delete my non abusive and frankly quite funny answers to fartarses blatant swipes at Hx then have the decency to delete the blatant swipes first please.....its interesting how you lot divert your anger to Hx everytime something arises that doesn't please you...you are supposed to be impartial...act as such....

most freudian... grin

Originally Posted By: Hirsty
Why would you want to have anthing to do with Ebbsfleet ? I certainly would want nothing to do with Charlton !

As my post stated, I don't. I am interested in the 'experiment' but to be honest when I joined MyFC - several months ago (before they even started taking money) - I did so in the expectation that it would be some quaint Northern old mining town team full of players called Ecclesthwaite and Grimblethorpe that MyFC would be taking over. Something I could give money to and not really pay much attention to (similar to chucking £35 in an envelope and sending it to the starving Ethiopians or something). Imagine my surprise/shock/horror when they announced the chosen team. Interestingly, it seems that a fair few MyFC members have split off in the past day or two and set up their own site called thepeoplesclub specifically to buy a team up North (as they are not happy at the money going to a club in the Home Counties).

Unfortunately my friend your vote 'No' will count for nothing. I believe this decision has been made at a much higher level. What about when your sorry lot went to play at Selhurst. If I remember right their were tears and tantrums and boycotts. They were doing you a favour but you wasn't very grateful was you????

It wasn't the takeover that caused animosity it was the new posters coming onto this forum declaring themselves as owners and fans and patronising us (exceptions acknowledge).

Originally Posted By: DA11
What about when your sorry lot went to play at Selhurst. If I remember right their were tears and tantrums and boycotts. They were doing you a favour but you wasn't very grateful was you????

They weren't doing us a favour in that Palace actually caused the move from the Valley to a large extent, by approaching our then (asset-stripping) board to suggest the ground share in the first place - we weren't homeless at the time. It was also an entirely financial arrangement (we were paying Palace a full commercial rent). I think that's a somewhat less benevolent arrangement than what MyFC are (seemingly) offering G&N!

But the point was the reaction of the fans. Crying like babies as I can remember. Palace done you a huge favour. What did you expect fleet fans to do? Bow down and welcome the newbies. Football fans are fickle. You should know that.

Well said DA11 ... passion obviously counts , but not for us mere Alliance league founders , cos MYFC voted for us not to show any sort of emotion at all ... in the world of the internet , REAL people push the buttons . BUT we can't be told what to THINK OR WHAT TO WRITE ... Mods excepted , natch !

But the point was the reaction of the fans. Crying like babies as I can remember. Palace done you a huge favour. What did you expect fleet fans to do? Bow down and welcome the newbies. Football fans are fickle. You should know that.

I accept your point but reserve the right to act all superior for no good reason. It's what us MyFC folk do!

I accept your point but reserve the right to act all superior for no good reason. It's what us MyFC folk do!

Speak for yourself, which you did just fine. Leave the rest of us members out of it and allow us to make up our own minds.

rvr

Originally Posted By: chris blanc
I'm a Charlton fan (ST holder for 23 years before someone accuses me of being a Premier league glory boy!)

Surely you're in the wrong league to be called that?

You know full well what I mean. Not one of the post '98ers (Play Off Final). Myself and all the people I go to games with had actually being hoping for relegation for two seasons before it happened - just to get rid of some of the plastics if nothing else. So we're not that different to G&N fans shunning their potential MyFC influx in a way. But, having seen how far out of the limelight we now are I'm kind of regretting us going down. Things have changed so much in the eight years since we were last out of the top flight. For example, even when we're a live game on Sky now no pub will be showing it as everywhere will have the PL game on Setanta at the same time instead. That divide - every division being so much higher profile than the one below - is only going to increase, and that's why I really do think the MyFC money is hugely timely for G&N. I honestly believe if this deal goes through G&N will be upper League One (and certainly above Jills) by the time of the London Olympics. Every year the gap between rich and poor increases and saying "we've only been in the Conference five years" and "we're growing in our own time" as some have on here really misses the point. As a football club you're on a rung of a ladder and the man right at the very top of that ladder (the G18 clubs, Sky, greedy FAs etc) is hugely fat and getting fatter and his weight is causing the ladder to sink into the mud. The higher up that ladder you can get and the quicker you can do it, the better your chances. That I'm afraid is the reality of football in 2007 and as far as I can see MyFC are offering G&N a potential piggy back up a rung or two, and I think G&N fans would be foolish not to accept that offer. I will be voting no though. I'd rather the piggy back went to Woking (where I was born) or Halifax ('cause they're Northern and the nice man who sings in the local bank's TV ads always seems so happy).

Originally Posted By: Mackster
Maybe with Charlton's new found status in Division 1 and with the new super Thames Gateway FC taking away your fanbase you just won't have to worry about extending to 40,000

I LIKE that name change suggestion! We need to organise a vote!

(Yes, I was joking, honestly - dont flay me alive)

Originally Posted By: Yorkshire Fan
Originally Posted By: Mackster
Maybe with Charlton's new found status in Division 1 and with the new super Thames Gateway FC taking away your fanbase you just won't have to worry about extending to 40,000

I LIKE that name change suggestion! We need to organise a vote!

(Yes, I was joking, honestly - dont flay me alive)

Not a bad idea Fan...........Far better than MyclubFc.....................But not as good as MyLFUAFC sounds!
PM me if you want the full name............or it can be found on other posts!