Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gulls plan to stay full-time even if relegation happens

FF News

Vanarama National League club Torquay United's chief executive Steve Breed says he wants the club to continue being fully professional, even if they are relegated in April.

The Gulls are bottom of the National League and 10 points from safety.

They were relegated from League Two in 2014 and have struggled financially since millionaire owner Thea Bristow sold the club in the summer.

"There are no plans or thoughts at this moment to doing anything other than being a full-time club," Breed said.

Breed helped bring together a consortium of local businessmen, led by chairman David Phillips, who took control at Plainmoor in June.

The lack of funds forced the new board to close the club's academy, leave their old training ground and saw newly-installed manager Paul Cox leave in September after a disagreement over his wages.

The club has since entered an agreement to share their Plainmoor home with National League South side Truro City, while the Gulls are in early talks about moving to a new ground on the outskirts of the town.

"We have to build plans for staying up and for going down," Breed told BBC Radio Devon. "It's not a defeatist attitude, but we need to be prepared if the worst happens and we are relegated this season.

"I still feel we should be a league club. Everything around this football club is geared to it being a professional, full-time football club."

Breed continued: "I would hate to think we would go part-time at this club, I really would, but finances dictate and I can't guarantee that we would stay as a full-time club.

"I'd like to think we would, and there's been no talk whatsoever about us going part-time, but you never know what the situation is around the corner.

"I believe the only way we'd get up from the league below is to stay full-time."

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Source

Archived