Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Goalkeeper Viscosi Becomes Latest Arrival For Blues

FF News

Conference club Chester have signed highly-rated Canadian goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi.

The 23-year-old, who previously attracted the attention of a number of League One and League Two sides including AFC Wimbledon, Oldham Athletic, Carlisle United and Tranmere Rovers, was recommended to manager Steve Burr to help bolster The Blues' goalkeeping ranks.

Viscosi, who only arrived in the United Kingdom on 6th January after making the long trip from his hometown Ottawa, trained with the club just three times before Burr was keen to sign the shot-stopper.

However, Viscosi is no stranger to Chester's style of play after he faced-off against them in August 2014 during a pre-season friendly while trialling with Tranmere Rovers.

Surprisingly, after making an impressive debut for Rovers, they were unable to sign Viscosi after they had reportedly reached their player quota.

Viscosi said: "I am really pleased to join Chester. They have a decent set-up, a solid fan-base, and have ambitious plans to return to the Football League, which is my goal too.

"During my time in the UK, and playing in the United States, I have been an avid follower of the football scene in the North West of England, and it feels great to have a genuine opportunity to be part of it and meet some great people in the process.

"They say that first impressions count, which is why I was keen to sign for Chester. Hopefully I can play my part to help the club regain its Football League status, which it deserves."

Prior to arriving in the UK, Viscosi was offered professional terms to sign for Hungarian Premier League side Kaposvári Rákóczi.

In 2013, he represented his native Canada at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia.

He also spent four years playing in the United States, where he captained the University of Buffalo in Division One of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Football League.

Source: Andy Fitzsimons

Source

Archived