Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Heed boss happy to see midfielder on the scoresheet

FF News

New Gateshead manager Neil Aspin paid tribute to Paddy McLaughlin as the midfielder struck a last-gasp winner to sink Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday.

The Heed dominated proceedings on a windy afternoon at Aggborough, but looked set to leave frustrated following an inspired display by the hosts’ Dean Snedker in between the sticks.

However, three minutes into stoppage time, McLaughlin pounced from six yards to get the Aspin era off to a dream start.

Alongside Gus Mafuta and Simon Ramsden in a midfield triumvirate, the lively Northern Irishman had gone close to breaking the deadlock on a string of occasions, only to find Snekder in fine form.

Aspin highlighted the trio’s collective showing as a cause for optimism at Aggborough, his new side having adapted quickly to his favoured 4-3-3 formation.

And, having seen McLaughlin notch his first goal for the club in his maiden game in charge, the boss is hopeful that the 24-year-old can contribute further in the weeks to come.

He said: “I thought the midfield did well as a whole.

“I spoke to Paddy this week, having looked at his goal record. When he played for York, he chipped in with a lot, but since then he hasn’t scored many.

“I asked him what he felt the reasons were behind that. With this formation, we’re looking to get more goals from midfield.

“It’s a really good start for him, and I’m sure he’ll be looking to get his name on the scoresheet more often.

“It was a great time to score. I must admit that I was beginning to think it wasn’t going to happen, and you resign yourself to a 0-0.

“But I did say at half-time that if we were patient, and just kept plugging away, we would get a goal.

“Their ‘keeper has been named man-of-the-match, which is testament to his display. He made a number of very good saves.

“Kidderminster have won their last two games here, and they only lost narrowly at Grimsby last week, so it really is a good win for us.

“It has been very intense since I took the job. Coming into a club during a season is new to me, and you are in at the deep end.

“But, I’ve been made to feel very welcome by the chairman, the staff and the players. It has been easy to settle in, and to pick up two wins is a bonus.”

Source: www.gateshead-fc.com

Source

Archived