Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Match report


Recommended Posts

Your lot played really well tonight - you deserved something out of the game. You probably heard the sigh of relief from Vics fans in Canvey Island!!

Thought you might like the first match report. It is just from a "green" perspective, a more balanced report will be on our web site tomorrow.

Hope you all had a safe journey home and hope to see you in the Conference before too long. Hopefully on a Saturday!!





VICS (2)2

Garvey 22 Teather 31


Protheroe 17

Att 708

Blundell McNiven

Garvey Devlin Norris Sedgemore Teather

Rioch Ingram Royle


Subs, Connett, Griggs Jarrett Quinn Allan

This was a game Vics were lucky to win in the end. Handicapped by the injuries to Owen, Allan and Came and with keeper Parry playing but still carrying an injury – he limped and lacked mobility for the second half - we then had the misfortune to lose Rioch with what looked like a hamstring injury just after the half hour. In the end it’s goals that win games and for all Canvey Islands pressure in the second half they lacked that one extra class player to save them the game. With hindsight both teams performances suffered through injuries. Vics never looked as good after Rioch went off and Canvey were noticeably lacking after their best player, Minton, was injured with 20 mins left. The pitch was quite good considering the frosty weather but light snow that fell for much of the game made it difficult at times.


Vics opened the stronger team but the first chance fell to Canvey after 5 mins when a cross from the right by Protheroe beat Parry and dropped on to the bar and behind. The ref awarded a corner saying Parry touched it but I think that flattered Parry who didn’t seem to get near it. After this Canvey looked the stronger side for a while and Minton volleyed over from 20 yds after 9 mins. Chances were few and Vics first one came after 14 mins when a Norris free kick was cleared to Devlin who carried it into the area and saw Harrison make a good save at the second attempt from his shot. Canvey went ahead on 17 mins when a good Vics raid saw McNiven put Blundell away on the right and his perfect cross went to Devlin whose shot was saved, from the clearance Boylan played it to Protheroe who, in loads of space, picked his spot from the right hand side of the box. Canvey then went close to making it 2 – 0 when a long free kick from Chenery went to Boylan who turned and shot narrowly wide. Vics were level soon afterwards when, after a good build up, Devlin played the ball back to Garvey who shot from 25 yds and saw it take a wicked deflection off a defender that left Harrison going the wrong way. We had our best spell after this. Both defences looked a little suspect but our midfield was more dominant, finding a lot of space. Garvey fired a free kick over then Teather and Blundell combined to give Dfevlin a shot that went weakly wide. Canvey went close to regaining the lead off a breakaway after 29 mins when Gregory put Boylan away on the right and he found himself with only Parry to beat but his shot went across goal and wide. 2 mins later we were in front when Rioch gave Blundell the kind of pass he loves putting him clear on the left, he went to the line and pulled it back for Teather to volley into the roof of the net from the far post. We nearly doubled the lead 2 mins later when McNiven went clear on the right and his cross saw Harrison flap at it and barely make contact but it was just enough to drop the ball behind the inrushing Garvey. Devliun got the shot instead and this time Harrison made a good save as this shot was deflected as well. Rioch was injured at this point and Griggs replaced him necessitating a reshuffling of the team. The game calmed down a little, Protheroe shot wide after 37 mins and was then booked for a late tackle on Griggs. As we went up to the break McNiven saw a poor shot go wide and then Blundell had one saved. The half closed with a Canvey corner that Vics barely scrambled away.


This turned out to be a long second half! Vics never gained the initiative again and defended for most of it. Both teams won early corners that were cleared and Boylan was booked for a tackle on Griggs. As we approached the hour Canvey won 3 corners and had us penned in our own half, but the only shot from this pressure was one from Minton. On 62 mins though Protheroe went close again and Blundell was booked for a foul. From the kick Parry made a good save from a close range header following poor Vics marking and the ball was scrambled away for a corner by the Vics defence. Parry, looking more limited in mobility by the minute, punched the kick away and the pressure was relieved by a Canvey foul and a long injury to Protheroe that necessitated his replacement by Parmenter. This could have made the difference in the end as he won their man of the match award for his 70 mins contribution. Allan replaced McNiven as Vics suffered a severe case of the jitters! The game now settled in a pattern that was to last to the end. Canvey pressure with Vics looking more dangerous with each breakaway. A good Vics attack after 69 mins saw 3 players trying to get shots but denied space, and then Allan forcing a corner soon afterwards. On 77 mins Brayley went clear with only Parry to beat but a very narrow angle, his shot beat Parry but went right along the line and was cleared from the other side. The ball went to Blundell who drew the defence beautifully and squared it to Allan who had all the time and an empty goal but contrived to shoot wide when it looked impossible! Quinn replaced Blundell with 8 mins left but still the pressure wasn’t relieved. Canvey fired a free kick wide with 5 mins left and then Allan had another chance to clinch it when he went clear down the middle but as Harrison came out to him he shot narrowly wide of the right post. Canvey’s next attack saw |Boylan given time and space to turn and shoot from 10 yds but it flashed wide. Vics were hanging on but Canvey couldn’t get that final shot in. 4 mins of stoppage dragged on for an eternity but the game ended with Quinn shooting no more than 6 inches wide.

A good cuptie and a credit to both teams. It must seem a long way home for Canvey having piled on so much pressure and gone away with nothing. A mention for ex-Vics favourite Chris Duffy who looked tireless and dangerous down the right all night.

Vics man of the match – Mark Devlin. Canvey man of the match Lee Protheroe.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...