Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hargreaves starts Gulls summer rebuild

FF News

Torquay United manager Chris Hargreaves has released a number of players as the summer rebuilding process begins in earnest at the Launa Windows Stadium.

It has been a difficult day for the boss and his assistant Lee Hodges, and even more so for the lads who will not be part of our plans for the new season.

It is a process that has to be carried out by every manager at every club and the Gulls now have a relatively clean slate to start planning for the new Conference campaign, which kicks-off on Saturday, August 8.

The list of released player is detailed below, along with those who are awaiting a final decision and new contracts offered.

Released Players
Elliot Benyon
Dale Tonge
Duane Ofori-Acheampong
Martin Rice
Krystian Pearce
Courtney Cameron
Aaron Downes
Mickey Parcell
Tom Cruise

Awaiting Final Decision
James McQuilkin
Ollivier Gueguen
Aaron Dawson
Ben Harding
Ashley Yeoman

New Contract Offered
Toby Ajala
Levi Ives
Daniel Lavercombe

Under Contract for Next Season
Ryan Bowman
Louis Briscoe
Courtney Richards
Sam Chaney
Angus MacDonald
Luke Young

“It’s been a very difficult day and not a good part of the job,” said Chris Hargreaves. “I hope that I’m a fair manager and a fair bloke, but it’s not easy for the players to accept and not easy to deliver the news.

“If we go down the list, Krystian Pearce hasn’t reached the heights of last season, until recently. His wages are big for our club at the moment and he also doesn’t see himself staying here, so that conversation was slightly easier. We part with a handshake and wish each other all the best.

“Courtney Cameron is another who did want to get back home but I wasn’t offering a contract, so there was no grey area. It just hasn’t happened for Courtney this season and I’ve given him the opportunities, which he accepts. He’s definitely got ability but it’s not clicked for him, and he probably needs to try new pastures to get that again.

“Aaron Downes was a very difficult decision because he is such a hard worker and a good character. In another circumstance, it might have happened but, for the money we’re talking about and the overall achievement for Downes, it hasn’t quite been enough.

“We part on very good terms and I’ve thanked him for all his efforts. He's thanked me for the opportunities and he hasn’t always reached the heights we wanted, but I’ve got no doubt he will find another club and he’ll probably be playing against us next season. We wish him all the best but I think I need a bit more pace at the back.

“For Tom Cruise, injury has blighted his time at the club and he’s not had the minutes on the pitch. Levi Ives has been playing at left-back because Cruise has been injured, which is unfortunate, but I can’t hang my hat on someone who has played so few games. It was another hard conversation but I do think he’ll get another club.

“Mickey Parcell was a very tough discussion because he’s a fantastic character. If we had a development squad, he may well have stayed but he has to be ready to play next season, or very close, and he’s not there at the moment.

“It was very difficult because Mickey wants it so badly but we’re not in the financial position to give lads a new deal if they’re not playing because that becomes expensive.

“We also have a group of lads where we are not yet able to make a decision on because it is dependent on our budget for next season but the non-contract players are people I am so thankful for their efforts.

“In Aaron Dawson, James McQuilkin and Ollivier Gueguen, we’ve had three players essentially playing for almost no money and I’ve got so much time for them in doing that. They are fighting for a deal and I can’t offer them something yet because I don’t know the budget.

“They have been in the shop window and if they find a club in the meantime for a good deal, I advise them to take it. It is the same scenario for Ashley Yeoman and Ben Harding.

“I don’t know what we will end up offering Ash, if anything at all. He hasn’t played a lot of games but he can score goals, so he must find it within himself to come back and really be aggressive, if he does come back.

“Ben hasn’t played enough games and yet, he’s finished the season playing really well. If it was right for both parties, there may be a deal on the table but with all of those five players, they remain a question mark.

“We have offered contracts to Toby Ajala, Levi Ives and Daniel Lavercombe. We’ve had interest in Toby and whether he stays or not remains to be seen, but we protect our interest by offering him a deal, so someone will have to pay for them.

“Levi and Dan have been magnificent, and it is massive congratulations to the youth department and the whole Academy system for the youngsters breaking through. It is brilliant to have youth-team players regularly in the first-team.

“It vindicates the whole youth set-up and we are only scratching the surface. I watched a youth game for the under-17s last week and we had three boys who were magnificent, which all bodes well for the club.”

Source: Torquay United FC

Source

Archived