Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Has This Season Been A Success?

I was thinking sbout this eatlier, so I thought I would ask the question.

At the start of the season, my hopes were mid table obscurity with decent cup runs and increased crowds - in a nutshell to see tangible improvements on last season.

The FA Cup was certainly a success, drawing at home with League Two Grimsby. We were unfortunate to draw Bromley away in the Trophy, however we gave them a good game (according to all reports, I did not go to the game). 

After the well discussed poor start to the season, my aim of a mid table finish was achieved, indeed we finished in the top half of the table. 

Crowds have certainly increased with the benefits of increased revenue for the club. Hopefully these levels will carry over to next season.

One advantage was the lack of player turnover. Whilst we did have numerous loan players throughout the season, we had a steady core of players who played week in week out. I feel this certainly contributed to the overall season.

We had two regular scorers in Johnny and Nathan, whilst the rest of the team scored their fair share as well.

So, to summarise, we had a successful season.

Well done and thanks to Scotty and the boys. 

10 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

Depends on how you determine success? Success would usually mean winning a league/cup or gaining promotion.

We've had a season of consolidation following a big summer of changes on and off the pitch (with big changes to look forward to), not forgetting a flirt with relegation last season. Would you not consider this to be success?

Scott & the team finished higher in the league than we, the fans/supporters, finished in the attendance league table….. doesn’t that come under the classification of over achievement & success?

They also had a winning season 17 (or 18) wins, 14 draws & 14 defeats….. that’s a success.

And made it to the first round of the FA Cup (only 32 non league clubs achieve that each season) which isn’t expected from our league…. that’s also a success.

28 minutes ago, Nathan said:

We've had a season of consolidation following a big summer of changes on and off the pitch (with big changes to look forward to), not forgetting a flirt with relegation last season. Would you not consider this to be success?

Everyone will view success differently, personally I wouldn’t use the word success but progress. No one can doubt we’ve made great progress from a year ago. Continue on the same trajectory and we could well be celebrating success in a years time.

Considering our poor start to the season, possibly put down to having a lot of new players and not having a settled keeper, we've made significant progress as a side which until the last week or so was in contention for a play off place.

Add in a decent cup run and I'd say we've had a reasonably successful season but most definitely a season of progress.

If we can keep the players we want to keep and add a few decent/quality players to the squad I see no reason why next season can't be even better.

Edited by Reading Rebel

11 hours ago, RebelVilla said:

I was thinking sbout this eatlier, so I thought I would ask the question.

At the start of the season, my hopes were mid table obscurity with decent cup runs and increased crowds - in a nutshell to see tangible improvements on last season.

The FA Cup was certainly a success, drawing at home with League Two Grimsby. We were unfortunate to draw Bromley away in the Trophy, however we gave them a good game (according to all reports, I did not go to the game). 

After the well discussed poor start to the season, my aim of a mid table finish was achieved, indeed we finished in the top half of the table. 

Crowds have certainly increased with the benefits of increased revenue for the club. Hopefully these levels will carry over to next season.

One advantage was the lack of player turnover. Whilst we did have numerous loan players throughout the season, we had a steady core of players who played week in week out. I feel this certainly contributed to the overall season.

We had two regular scorers in Johnny and Nathan, whilst the rest of the team scored their fair share as well.

So, to summarise, we had a successful season.

Well done and thanks to Scotty and the boys. 

How we didn't hammer Bromley I still can't understand, yes they scored in the first minute or so but after that it was practically one way traffic.

Would have made up for transporting me back to Kenilworth Road in '85 with United with their superb away supporters hospitality! 

3 hours ago, DonnyNo6 said:

Would have made up for transporting me back to Kenilworth Road in '85 with United with their superb away supporters hospitality! 

That was the season United won their first 10 league games wasn't it Donny?

Remember that time well.

Luton stopped that run with a draw.

If my memory serves me right, I would have thought comparing Bromley away would have been better suited to United's away league game that season at Oxford United. 

Now that was a dump.

At least it had a roof though, and we weren't stuck out in the open in wintertime like we were at Bromley.  

Edited by Holyport Rebel

31 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Remember that time well.

If my memory serves me right, I would have thought comparing Bromley away would have been better suited to United's away league game that season at Oxford United. 

Now that was a dump.

At least it had a roof though, and we weren't stuck out in the open in wintertime like we were at Bromley.  

No thoughts on the season and our prospects for next season HR?

1 hour ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Remember that time well.

Now that was a dump.

It was indeed, if memory serves I believe I was at seven maybe eight of those first lot of matches when Luton decided to put a spanner in the works, bonkers it was that day in and out of the ground.

The Manor Ground, went there that season, think it was in the winter but yes at least it had a cover so to speak, that's why I compared Bromley to Luton, joyful opened aired terracing with superb facilities. 😂

Frustratingly it seems that my grass isn't going to dry off enough to let me cut it today, so you're going to have to put up with some of my ramblings again. 🥱
The topic is "Was this a successful season.? "
Seeing the various replies it seems different people have different ideas as to what a successful season is.
It was mooted that success can only be achieved if you win promotion or a cup ( which surely means the FA Trophy, as a county cup win wouldn't cut it in my eyes. ) 
That seems very harsh to me, as if that is the case then 97% of clubs have "unsuccessful" seasons. 
Do I think we had a successful season?
Perhaps I'm a "glass half full"  Slough fan compared to others on here who seem to have a "glass half empty" view on things,  but I  would definitely call it a successful season. 
Each to their own though.
We ended last season only three points above the relegation zone.
The six clubs that came into our division for this season I thought were much stronger than the six who left us, making this division even harder to stay in. 
Before the season started I would have been content with another finish out of the relegation places, even 20th would have done me, and a couple of wins in the F.A. cup competitions.
Most neutrals had us as bankers to go down, and the way the season started they were looking right in their assumption.
After the Tonbridge disaster it seems there was a massive "clear the air" discussion in the dressing room afterwards.
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to have heard what went on !
The next game was away to Dartford, runners up the previous season, and if somebody had come on the coach and told us fans who were travelling to see the game that one of these two  teams was going to be relegated come the season's end and the other was to finish in the top 10, I'm pretty sure none of us would have predicted the outcome correctly.
I think this game was a big turning point.
Another big turning point I think was getting the services of Dan Lincoln.
We had a great FA Cup run, and we wouldn't have had that without a fantastic performance from Rohan away at Salisbury, but Dan was a fantastic stabilising influence and a solid base on which we could build.
We had some memorable performances this season, Ebbsfleet at home, the FA Cup matches against Grimsby, the 4-3 win at Torquay,the first half blitz at home to Bath.
We didn't find scoring goals a problem.
We had numerous games which ended either 4-3, 3-3 or 3-2.
Yes, it would I guess be nice to win lots of games 1-0 , but I'd rather lose a game 4-3 than 1-0.
We got through a very difficult fixture list in January, and  were never in the slightest danger of being pulled into a relegation battle.  
In fact as we know it was the opposite, we only somehow unbelievably  only missed a play off place by a few points.
Some great wins, lots of goals, looking up the league table most of the season rather than down it.
Attendances up........ 1800+ to a basically meaningless last game of the season against opposition that with all due respect to Welling are not the biggest draw. 
To get that many people to actually want to go to the trouble of coming to Arbour Park for an ordinary league game shows that the hard work put in by the people behind the scenes is paying off.
A great team spirit among the players.
Joining in the after match victory celebrations with them this season has been so enjoyable.
A fantastically nice, honest bloke as our manager.
Scott seems like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the gnarled, bitter and twisted managers who's after match interviews I've listened to this season.
An enjoyable end of season awards ceremony, where there was such a positive and optimistic vibe. 
How can anyone say that it has not been a successful season ?
Well, that's my take on it, whether you agree or not. 😀
Next season ?
I see that the "p" word has been mentioned already.
"p' for play offs or promotion.
I can honestly say I'm not thinking along those lines.
If we can have a season where relegation is not a concern from the very off, and again win a couple of cup matches, that  will do for me.
Of course anything more would be wonderful, but I'm quite happy having a glass half full thank you.
I'm not greedy !

Edited by Holyport Rebel

2 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Frustratingly it seems that my grass isn't going to dry off enough to let me cut it today, so you're going to have to put up with some of my ramblings again. 🥱
Seeing the various replies it seems different people have different ideas as to what a successful season is.
It was mooted that success can only be achieved if you win promotion or a cup ( which surely means the FA Trophy, as a county cup win wouldn't cut it in my eyes. ) 
That seems very harsh to me, as if that is the case then 97% of clubs have "unsuccessful" seasons. 
Perhaps I'm a "glass half full"  Slough fan compared to others on here who seem to have a "glass half empty" view on things,  but I  would definitely call it a successful season. 
The six clubs that came into our division for this season I thought were much stronger than the six who left us, making this division even harder to stay in. 
Before the season started I would have been content with another finish out of the relegation places, even 20th would have done me, and a couple of wins in the F.A. cup competitions.
Most neutrals had us as bankers to go down, and the way the season started they were looking right in their assumption.
After the Tonbridge disaster it seems there was a massive "clear the air" discussion in the dressing room afterwards.
The next game was away to Dartford, runners up the previous season, and if somebody had come on the coach and told us fans who were travelling to see the game that one of these two  teams was going to be relegated come the season's end and the other was to finish in the top 10, I'm pretty sure none of us would have predicted the outcome correctly.
We had a great FA Cup run, and we wouldn't have had that without a fantastic performance from Rohan away at Salisbury, but Dan was a fantastic stabilising influence and a solid base on which we could build.
We had some memorable performances this season, Ebbsfleet at home, the FA Cup matches against Grimsby, the 4-3 win at Torquay,the first half blitz at home to Bath.
Yes, it would I guess be nice to win lots of games 1-0 , but I'd rather lose a game 4-3 than 1-0.
We got through a very difficult fixture list in January, and  were never in the slightest danger of being pulled into a relegation battle.  
In fact as we know it was the opposite, we only somehow unbelievably  only missed a play off place by a few points.
Some great wins, lots of goals, looking up the league table most of the season rather than down it.
Attendances up........ 1800+ to a basically meaningless last game of the season against opposition that with all due respect to Welling are not the biggest draw. 
To get that many people to actually want to go to the trouble of coming to Arbour Park for an ordinary league game shows that the hard work put in by the people behind the scenes is paying off.
Joining in the after match victory celebrations with them this season has been so enjoyable.
Scott seems like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the gnarled, bitter and twisted managers who's after match interviews I've listened to this season.
An enjoyable end of season awards ceremony, where there was such a positive and optimistic vibe. 
Next season ?
If we can have a season where relegation is not a concern from the very off, and again win a couple of cup matches, that  will do for me.
Of course anything more would be wonderful, but I'm quite happy having a glass half full thank you.
I'm not greedy !

HR  I hope your grass gets rained on every day if it leads to contributions like this one  First class!

3 hours ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Next season ?
I'm not greedy !

Have to say HR your hopes for next season are a bit low for a 'glass half full' man 😉

Personally, if we don't progress and get into the play-offs I'll be disappointed.

9 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Have to say HR your hopes for next season are a bit low for a 'glass half full' man 😉

Personally, if we don't progress and get into the play-offs I'll be disappointed.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey!!

12 hours ago, C'est la vie said:

If it was that black and white. 

Of course nothing is ever black and white in football but I'm sure Scott and his management team will be aiming to progress and improve on this years league placing.

Being we were only 5 points adrift of a play-off position after having a far from settled season I don't think it's unrealistic to set our sights on the play-offs. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

14 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Hi RR. 

Always good to read other people's views.

I think it's great to hear optimistic comments from fans regarding next season, but do you really mean what you said in your post ?

You'll be "disappointed" if we don't make the play-offs and  "only" say,  finish 8th ?

Blimey, no pressure there Scott !

Before the season started I'm sure fans of Dartford, Havant, Torquay and Eastbourne all hoped, nay expected in some quarters, to at least make the play-offs.

Football is a "funny old game" and has a habit of kicking you in the   when you least expect it.

If today I was somehow offered the chance to lock Slough into an 8th place finish for  next season,  I wouldn't have a second's hesitation in doing so.

Might be boring and short-sighted to some I suppose, but that's me.  :oldman: 

Cheers !  🥃