Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Chief backs Non-League Day

FF News

Non-League Day returns on Saturday for its sixth successive year, with the aim of encouraging football fans from the professional game to head down to their local club and show their support.

For fans who would ordinarily spend their Saturday afternoons at a Premier League or Championship fixture, Non-Leage Day offers the perfect solution to get the weekend football fix.

And this year, it has extra significance because it coincides with The Emirates FA Cup third qualifying round.

FA Chairman Greg Dyke is a keen supporter of the initiative, and said: “Non-League Day has become a really important part of the football calendar.

"It celebrates everything that is great about English football. I will be going along to a match on Saturday afternoon and in many ways it is just as special as being at Wembley to watch England play.

“In fact, we are encouraging all FA staff to get out and support their local teams, whether non-league sides or indeed from Leagues One and Two.

"My congratulations go to all involved in promoting Non-League Day for their hard work in supporting our national game, as well as those who work tirelessly across our County FA structure to get games on and make football possible.”

And another advocate for the Non-League game is FA Historian, David 'The Barber' Barber.

The newspaper clippings from Redhill's famous victory against Sutton

David has watched over 6,900 football matches and counting – two thirds of which have been featuring teams below the professional ranks.

“I quickly got into non-League football – mainly because there were more goals – my dad would take me to Redhill, Carshalton, Sutton, Croydon and other grounds near where the family lived in Purley,” explained The Barber.

“Among my favourite non-League games over more than half a century I can remember a Surrey Senior Cup Final at Tooting in our World Cup-winning year when Redhill fought back from 2-0 down to beat Sutton 4-3 after extra time.

“Non-League Day is a brilliant idea. As an ex non-league player I fully support the promotion of our grassroots game”

"There was also an FA Cup match between Walton & Hersham and Margate when the home side’s last-minute equaliser had the players and fans doing a conga round the pitch.

“A 25-yarder into the top corner isn’t any less of a feat if it’s in front of 50 people rather than 50,000. Walk round the ground during the game if you want to, chat to people, enjoy those characters that you get both on and off the pitch at that level.

"That’s my idea of fun – though I’m perfectly happy watching Premier League or England at Wembley. At the end of the day it’s the same rules and the same game.

Non-League Day now in its sixth year remains a totally volunteer-run initiative.

Source: www.thefa.com

Source

Archived