Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Final day defeat sums up Heed season - Aspin

FF News

Gateshead manager Neil Aspin felt his side’s performance in Saturday’s 4-2 defeat at Chester was typical of their season as a whole.

After a listless opening 45 minutes, the Heed began the second-half brightly, and got their noses in front through Rob Ramshaw’s first goal of the campaign.

However, after Kane Richards restored parity for Chester on the hour-mark, the gheadlogofloodgates opened, with the Blues netting four goals in a devastating 20-minute spell.

The Tynesiders were dead and buried by the time Danny Johnson struck a late consolation, having conceded three goals or more for the eleventh time in the Vanarama National League this term.

Defeat means that Gateshead end the season in ninth, a point and a place better off than last time out.

However, Aspin acknowledges that further improvement is a must for the next campaign, and outlined his plan for the week ahead.

He said: “Watching us take the lead and keep possession as we did, anyone who had just turned up would think we looked a good footballing side.

“But looking at it 25 minutes later, you’d say we just weren’t good enough defensively.

“It sums up the season as a whole. There was some promising forward play and some promising play in possession, but – again – some poor defending.

“Added to the other goals we have conceded, we’ve now let in 70 goals this season – and you don’t have to be an expert to know that if that isn’t addressed, we’re not going to be successful.

“I’m disappointed. You want to end the season on a high by winning a game, but we showed in that period today that there is a lot of work to be done.

“I expected to see more fight than I have, and now it’s up to me to change that.

“I’ll be under more pressure next season to make sure we’re more competitive, and I expect us to be more competitive.

“I will tell the players who I will be keeping on Tuesday, and after that I have to work all summer to bring players in.

“Once I have a new set of players to work with, then we can really give it a go.”

Source: www.gateshead-fc.com

Source

Archived