Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Smith move shows Basford academy success - Carruthers

FF News

Basford United's proud manager Martin Carruthers is looking forward to seeing Kimarni Smith make the grade in the professional game after Sheffield United snapped up the teenage star from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League club's academy.

Carruthers, who also heads up the academy at Greenwich Avenue, tipped the 17-year-old forward to make the most of his chance after he signed a professional contract for the League One club last week.

A member of the First Division South club's history-making academy side who reached the First Round proper of the FA Youth Cup this season, Kimarni, pictured, had also helped keep Basford's youngsters on course for a second consecutive Football Youth Conference title and made a number of first team appearances before securing his dream move to the Yorkshire giants.

According to Carruthers, Smith will be a "massive loss" but left with the best wishes of last season's Midland League Premier Division champions who are expecting great things of their graduate.

He said: “Kimarni has been an absolute pleasure to work with and I can't speak highly enough of him. He has an honesty about him and his selflessness to work as part of the team, coupled with his pace, control and balance are a joy to watch and when in full flight he is unstoppable. He took my breath away when I first started this role last August.

“His goals and work ethic were a key factor in the academy’s huge success and history making this season and although he is a massive loss, he leaves us knowing that we want him desperately to do well. He has all the attributes to make the grade and with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work, we will see him blossom in the years to come."

Source: www.evostikleague.co.uk

Source

Archived