Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Spirits are high says Chester defender

FF News

Chester full-back Ryan Higgins says the squad are filled with confidence going into an ever-busy Christmas period – looking to shoot up the National League table.

Chester currently sit in 14th after victory on Saturday, having to negotiate a Boxing Day and New Year double against Altrincham, and a home tie with Macclesfield.

Speaking to ChesterFC.com, Ryan said: “The games are going to come thick and fast over the Christmas period, but the lads are confident we can take maximum points from the games.

“The Telford win lifted spirits a bit, but the Torquay game put the confidence back in the dressing room and the spirits are high.”

The win at Telford saw the Blues advance into Round Two of the FA Trophy – but Higgins insists the focus right now remains on a resurgence up the National League ladder.

He said: “It’s a dream for some players to play at Wembley, but I think the league is probably the biggest forefront of what we do.

“If we can get a winning streak together, it shoots you right up the table. We can be jumping up there.”

The Blues signed off for Christmas in style, romping to a 4-1 victory over Torquay – and it could have been more.

Ross Hannah’s goal 15 seconds into the game set the tone for a superb afternoon.

“It was the best possible start you can ask for. Ross has been on fire lately and as soon as the goal goes in the confidence lifts in the whole team.

“Going three at the back, we used our strengths going forward, we pressed and there wasn’t a single part of the field we didn’t dominate.”

“With a game like Saturday’s, you don’t want them to end! We were playing well and playing like how we know we can play.

“We’re confident we can dominate games. We’re looking forward to the Christmas period.”

Hannah’s hat-trick saw him make it 11 in his last nine games, but Higgins was on the scoresheet himself – with a superb low drive in the first half: “I like to cut in!

“I’ve done it a few times this season and they’ve been rash and wayward, but I know I can do that and I’ve got a good enough left foot. I hit one like that last season, but this year I want to hit four or five goals maybe.

“I’m looking for a good second half to the season and press on and play as well as I did on Saturday.”

Despite his own super performance, Ryan was quick to heap praise on the hat-trick hero: “He’s absolutely flying.

“I was gutted when the one offside didn’t count, and I think if he’d stayed on he would have snatched the penalty – he could have ended up with five or six against Torquay.

“Everything he is hitting seems to go in at the minute and the lads are buzzing for him. He deserves it.”

Source: www.chesterfc.com

Source

Archived