Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Shaymen relief at Trophy win

FF News

FC Halifax Town booked their place in the Third Round of the FA Trophy with a narrow 1-0 victory over Barrow, a result that Kevin Roberts says Town fully deserved.

The Shaymen took another step towards Wembley as Shaun Tuton’s second half strike provided the crucial moment in what was at times a frustrating game for the home side.

Speaking to Shaymen Player HD after the match, Roberts said: “I think it was one of those games where the pitch wasn’t too nice. They’ve come and looked like they were trying to get a draw, or try and nick a winner, but we stayed pretty safe ourselves and didn’t give too much away.

“It was one of those games where you have to grind a win out and that’s exactly what we did. I think at the start of the season we wouldn’t keep those clean sheets and it wouldn’t be like that but at the minute we are starting to keep clean sheets and nick wins like that.”

In a game of limited chances, Town’s pressure finally paid off 20 minutes from time when Tuton drilled home his 12th goal of the season - and fourth in as many matches - a moment which Roberts admitted was a huge relief for the whole team.

“He’s on fire at the minute isn’t he? We’ve been doing that to teams ourselves, trying to frustrate them but like the gaffer said at half time, ‘don’t be frustrated at ourselves, just be patient, keep doing what we are doing and make sure we don’t leak a goal at the back and we will nick one with Toot’s on fire at the minute’.

“It was a nice relief; I don’t think the lads fancied a replay at Barrow on Tuesday night to be honest. We wanted to get right through and get the win sorted so when it hit the back of the net everyone was buzzing and we knew then just keep this clean sheet and its game over.”

The win extended The Shaymen’s remarkable record under Jim Harvey to 10 matches unbeaten, which Roberts, who was stand in captain for the ineligible Nicky Wroe, believes can only breed more confidence into the side.

“It’s just about keeping on a roll, as long as we keep on avoiding getting beaten. We don’t have to win every game but keep the confidence high by getting draws at tough places and trying to win our home games. As long as we stay unbeaten the confidence will keep growing.”

Next up for Town in the competition are Chester, who have already beaten Halifax twice this season. Roberts spent four years at the Cheshire side and says he is aiming to put things right against his former club in the next meeting.

“I think we owe them one don’t we, so I’m looking forward to that one as it’s an old club so I fancy our chances. I don’t want to be too big headed but the way we are at the minute hopefully we can get a win against Chester at home.”

Source: www.halifaxafc.co.uk

Source

Archived