Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Burr hails Chester comeback

FF News

Steve Burr was pleased with Chester's comeback at his old club Kidderminster yesterday – earning a 2-2 draw at Aggborough.

The Blues were two goals down at the break, but two second half goals in a ten minute spell gained them a point.

Speaking to the press, Steve said: “I wanted us to kick on from the Altrincham game. I think the lads just thought they’d turn up and put one over Kidderminster – but they are in good form and playing with a lot of confidence.

“I’m pleased with how we did in the second half and to get something out of a game we didn’t look like we were going to get anything out of.”

A second half turnaround coincided with a tweak in the formation that the Blues started with – moving from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 – but Burr insisted it was all about the hard work of the individuals.

“Formations don’t win you matches – football players do. I’ve said it to the players until I’m blue in the face. It’s about them and the shift they put in – whether it’s 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever – the result the other night was won by a workmanlike performance.

“In the first half, I didn’t think there was a great deal in the game apart from the goals. From our dugout the goals, particularly the first one, were poor goals to concede.

“I thought in the second half we could have perhaps nicked it, Ross (Hannah) had that chance at the end – but then Tony Thompson makes a superb save at the other end.”

The fightback was complete on 76 minutes when supersub James Alabi netted his first goal for the club in stunning fashion.

The gaffer was delighted for him; especially after a mixed start to life at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium.

He said: “It’s been frustrating for us and James. He came in and after a week of training with us he picked up a groin injury. It was frustrating for us. But that goal is what he’s capable of.

“It’s great to score a goal like that in front of your own fans – he took it really well.”

The Blues face Tranmere next up in the National League at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium in a weeks’ time (midday).

“If you can’t get up for a game like that then you shouldn’t be playing football! It’s a great one for the fans, it will be a sell out and I’m sure a fantastic atmosphere.

“We’ll analyse things. There were positives but when you go in two goals down at half time it looked like another two steps backwards.

“We showed a lot of character though which was good – there was a lot of fight and determination in a game that looked lost at half time.”

Source: www.chesterfc.com

Source

Archived