Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Refs and Linos

Must say our officials last night were excellent. Talked to us before the game, really good blokes. Had control of the game without having to dish out cards. Lino with ginger hair was hilirious but about the only lino that I've seen who can keep up with play. Really quick little bloke. Ref is young but has the players respect because he talks to them and not down to them. After all the moaning I thought I would praise up the officials. Eton Rifle do you know their names. We had the ref last year and he should be much higher because he is excellent. Also a special mention to Barking and East Ham FC who made us very welcome. Hope you do well and get promoted.

Yes mate, know them pretty well, all officiate in the esl, and do a great job, never had cause for complaint when any of the 3 have been involved with any Manor games.

Won't name names, otherwise ww3 might erupt. Agree with you comments on the promotion for the ref, he deserves it.

Quote:
Agree with you comments on the promotion for the ref, he deserves it.

And that, of course, is the problem the ESL and other leagues at this level will always have.

The good young refs will very quickly move on to greater things and we're left scrabbling around for any we can find who will be those on the way down because of their age or those who are deemed not good enough to move to the next step. A bit like most of the players. We should all realise that and make allowances.

But by the same logic we should also be getting young up and coming refs at the beginning of their careers, keen, ambitious and on the way up.

Nice to hear praise for officials though. When I reffed (at a much humbler level) I found that you more or less knew when you'd had a good game because everyone ignored you - they forgot about you because it was the game that was in their mind: as it should be. You shower and stomp off home happy becasue everyone's had a good game of football, the object of the excercise. When they do seek you out for a word of praise and thanks, it's brilliant, icing on the cake (especially if it's the losing team!).

Often it's not the refs fault when things go pear-shaped. If players kick each other, square up to each other, abuse the officials or whatever, you have no option but to take action. Often it is then all your fault...

Quote:
But by the same logic we should also be getting young up and coming refs at the beginning of their careers, keen, ambitious and on the way up.

Yes but as I said, we don't get them for very long. Certainly I've seen one or two young refs in the ESL who I don't expect to see there next season.