Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Forest Green keeper pens new deal

FF News

Paul White has become the first member of the Forest Green Rovers squad to agree a new one-year contract that will see him stay at the club until the end of next season.

The young goalkeeper has agreed to extend his time at The New Lawn into a third season after a promising campaign that saw him benefit from a spell spent out on loan at Vanarama Conference North side, Gloucester City.

He was offered a new deal by Ady Pennock in the closing stages of the campaign, and has now confirmed that he will boost the club’s goalkeeping ranks for another year.

The 20-year-old was delighted to sign a new deal with the club having originally arrived in Nailsworth as a player in August 2013.

He said: “I’m extremely happy and proud to sign a new contract for next season and I’m thankful to the Gaffer, Chairman and the club for showing faith in me.

“I love playing for the club, love living in the area and love the atmosphere in the dressing room with all the lads, so once there was an offer, signing a new contract was a no brainer for me.

“My main focus now is gym work over the summer and to come back physically stronger and dominant. Pre-season will be a good opportunity for me to get some minutes on the pitch for FGR and continue to prove myself to the management and Gaffer.

“I’m extremely confident in my abilities and feel that I’m close enough to being ready to impact the first team here in the way that I want.”

The former Tralee Dynamos glove-man gained important real match experience by helping local side Gloucester to Conference North safety last term.

In two separate loan spells with the Tigers he helped them retain their Conference North status, and also helped them to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup, where they eventually lined up against ourselves in the competition.

“My loan spell at Gloucester City last season was a major part in me getting a new contract,” he added.

“It was a serious test of character because I had a spell of about six weeks where I wasn’t performing well but I pulled through that and finished off the last two months extremely well and contributed to keeping the club up.

“It has accelerated my progression and development massively and to have those experiences at such a young age is going to help me throughout my career. I will be forever indebted to Tim Harris and Gloucester for giving me the opportunity.”

White has made one first team appearance for the club so far, coming in April 2014, when he featured as a substitute on the final day of the 2013-14 season against Wrexham.

On signing his new deal, he also offered his thanks to former teammate Sam Russell, who has now left the club, praising him for being a “good mentor” and “great friend”.

White is now set to push already contracted goalkeeper Steve Arnold under the guidance of goalkeeper coach Glyn Jones for a first team place.

Source: www.forestgreenroversfc.com

Source

Archived