Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Promotion

jayjay

Surrey Herald

http://icstaines.icnetwork.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=lammas-miss-out-on-prize-due-to-fa-rule%26method=full%26objectid=20510732%26siteid=66032-name_page.html

TITLE-CHASING Staines Lammas will be denied promotion even if they win the Combined Counties Division One because their ground isn't up to scratch.

Staines are due to install floodlights and a stand at their Laleham Recreation Ground to meet top-flight requirements.

But the upgrades won't be in place for the March 31 deadline, and Staines had planned to ground-share for a year if they won promotion while improvements were made.

However, FA regulations state that a side must be in a ground-sharing agreement before the start of the season to be eligible for promotion. That means Lammas wouldn't be allowed to use another ground as a passport to Premier Division football.

Boss Nathan Wharf said: "I found out that the league won't allow a team to ground-share in order to gain promotion. But I can't see why - all we're asking for is a year's grace while we bring our ground up to standard. "It happened to me before when I was a player at Ashford Town. We won the league six years out of seven, but only went up at the sixth time of asking because our ground wasn't good enough, so it's nothing new to me."

Promotion rivals Hanworth Villa also face the same problem, and any side that finishes in the top three could be promoted, which could open the door for Hartley Witney and Farnham Town, who are both eagerly trying to meet the deadline. Staines go into Saturday's clash with Villa hot on the heels of the league leaders - and Wharf insists they will remain on course for the championship providing they come away from Rectory Meadow with at least a point.

He added: "Hanworth are flying. But it's a local derby, and, with our games in hand, we just need to make sure we don't get beat." Lammas are still in the hunt for three trophies after Joe Johnson's double booked a place in the Middlesex Cup final with a comfortable win over British Airways on Saturday. Nduka Azagba and Ian Piper were also on the scoresheet for Lammas in their 4-1 win.

Elsewhere, Wharf has signed Simon Karrie from Egham Town. [25cf] Lammas's promotion hopes took a blow as they went down to a last-gasp defeat at Frimley Green on Tuesday night. A Frimley player fired a 25-yard free kick past keeper Liam Stone a minute from time.

Originally Posted By: jayjay
Boss Nathan Wharf said: "I found out that the league won't allow a team to ground-share in order to gain promotion. But I can't see why - all we're asking for is a year's grace while we bring our ground up to standard.

Everyone has known that that has been the case for three years now, hence why the likes of Westfield, Frimley, Farnham & Hartley Wintney got demoted two seasons ago. Yes a year's grace would be lovely but it aint going to happen, everyone knew about it, no need to moan about it.

In my opinion, lights, covered terrace and a fixed barrier right the way around the pitch are a must with seats an optional extra to be in CC Prem. Not many people sit at non-league grounds and the FA are forcing clubs to waste money by having them

Originally Posted By: Terrence Collina
Originally Posted By: jayjay
Boss Nathan Wharf said: "I found out that the league won't allow a team to ground-share in order to gain promotion. But I can't see why - all we're asking for is a year's grace while we bring our ground up to standard.

Everyone has known that that has been the case for three years now, hence why the likes of Westfield, Frimley, Farnham & Hartley Wintney got demoted two seasons ago. Yes a year's grace would be lovely but it aint going to happen, everyone knew about it, no need to moan about it.

In my opinion, lights, covered terrace and a fixed barrier right the way around the pitch are a must with seats an optional extra to be in CC Prem. Not many people sit at non-league grounds and the FA are forcing clubs to waste money by having them

Didn't stop Badshot Lea from gaining promotion from the Hellenic League Div 1 last season - they arranged their groundshare with Farnborough in late March, and will no doubt use it to secure a sideways transfer to the CCL Premier this year