Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Holker boss ready for the challenge

FF News

New Holker Old Boys manager Scott Redhead is gearing up for the challenge of leading the Stags' promotion push, after getting off to a winning start in his first game in charge at Widnes on Saturday.

Scott, 36, was previously assistant manager at Nelson, and has taken over the managerial reins at Rakesmoor Lane from Gary Fawcett, who has gone to Kendal Town to take charge of their newly formed under-23s side.

Based in Millom, Scott has extensive experience in Cumbrian football, having played at Holker early in his career before moving to Barrow as a player and later as a member of the coaching staff, and as he explained, he was immediately interested when he heard about the vacancy.

"When I became aware that Gary had left to go to Kendal Town, I approached the club and said I'd like to speak to them if the job was still available", said Scott.

"They know me from when I played there in the past, so I went down and met them and it was all sorted from there".

Scott is now getting to know his new squad, and is more than happy with what he has seen so far.

"Just before I arrived, several key players left for various reasons, the likes of Jamie Pattinson and Dave Swarbrick, but I couldn't do anything about that", he said.

"However, I've been really impressed with the players who are at the club, they have been excellent in training. We've got good lads in the reserves who play in the Furness Premier Division, and the A-team are also doing well. I think the club is in really good shape".

Scott's first game in charge was scheduled to be a week earlier than last Saturday, but the home game against Ashton Town was postponed. However, he says that the extra time that he has had to work on his squad and get his ideas across has been useful.

"Although it is a shame to have games called off because of weather, the postponements have been a bit of a blessing to be honest.

"It gave me a chance to have four good training sessions before the Widnes game, and it was great to see the players put into practice in the game what we had practised in training beforehand, especially in the second half when I thought we were outstanding.

"It was great to get the first win under the belt, and with the game against Colne (in the Lancashire FA Challenge Cup) being postponed, it gives us another chance to get some more training sessions before the next game and do some more preparation work".

Next up for Holker - weather permitting - is the rearranged home game against Ashton Town that should have been Scott's first game at the start of the month, and he is clear on what he is looking for from his squad over the next few weeks.

"We are in a great position, we have games in hand and are not too far off the pace at the top of the table.

"I think the challenge now is to try and get a run going before Christmas, because if we do, that should see us start to pull away from the teams around us.

"That has to be our target over the next few weeks".

Source: www.nwcfl.com

Source

Archived