Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Chester boss wants Trophy run

FF News

Chester boss Steve Burr was pleased with his sides’ victory at struggling Telford on Saturday afternoon.

It was an away fixture in difficult conditions, but the Blues flexed their ‘higher league’ status and won 2-0 to advance to Round Two.

Steve said: “It would be nice to get a home draw now. It’s a competition we want to do well in.

“We had great support at Telford in what were terrible conditions. It’s all about winning matches, and we did that. We had been on a bad run but it’s nice to be in the next round and have a good run.

“All wins help confidence. It was always a tough place to come, I know they have struggled with their league form, but we had to go in the right frame of mind. We were ready and we won the game comfortably in the end.”

The adverse weather conditions actually put the game in danger, but the Referee deemed the pitch playable.

The gaffer was quick to praise AFC Telford for making the pitch playable for the FA Trophy encounter.

Burr said: “I arrived at 12 on Saturday and saw the heavy rain so the Telford ground staff have to be applauded for getting the game on.

“It was a tricky tie, we knew that, and the lads went about it well. It was a professional performance – particularly in the first half. I thought we could have kept the ball better in the second half.

“When called upon, Jon Worsnop was excellent. All round, it’s nice to get through and into the next round.”

Ross Hannah’s deadly brace was the difference – taking him to eight goals in his last eight games.

Steve Burr is delighted with his form: “That’s what you want from Ross. But we want to see players chip in from other areas of the pitch.

“I’m delighted for Ross though, it’s just a shame he couldn’t get the hat-trick! I felt it might have been the day. His two goals were well taken though.”

The Blues performed well all over the field, with the returning Ben Heneghan helping the visitors to a clean sheet at the back.

The Manager said: “Ben was missing last week, and came back in the side and did well. You saw how much he’s a big part of this side and what we want to do. He was good alongside Sharpy (Ian Sharps).

“Danny Hattersley did well too. He won his headers, got himself into good areas, but he should have done better to score when he got his chance. But if he keeps working like that the goals will come.”

Source: www.chesterfc.com

Source

Archived