Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3G PITCHES AND CANCER

On 03/01/2023 at 18:04, Rhodes said:

Not cancer related but there is an interesting thread on another Forum entitled 'All Weather Pitches' which I am unable to post on here however here is a sample post and a link to a useful website advising on winter pitch maintenance for synthetic surfaces. SSML games at Thame United Reserves and Milton Keynes College Football Academy were called off recently and eyebrows were raised so maybe this explains it:

I don't think there are "all weather pitches" anymore, back in the early days, of what were called astroturf pitches, Club's could sweep the snow off. I remember going to a game at Feltham in the late 80s where this happened and they had a huge crowd by their standards of 750 as it was the only match on in the south of England that Saturday. Now with modern 3G and 4G pitches I don't think the snow can't be swept off as it affects the little black pellets in the pitch. So loads of matches on 3G were called off on Saturday. I also hear that modern 3G can't be used if the temperature goes below minus seven as the pitches freeze and are dangerous. Again this didn't happen in the 80s.

https://www.sispitches.com/winter-pitch-maintenance

You are right mate, the new 3G pitches cannot be swept and cleared of snow, it does remove the crumb infill and comprises the surface.  I've not heard or seen of any issue with temperatures though so that could be a new thing, my club Slough Town has a FIFA Level 3G but I also look after a FIFA Pro surface at my school and never had any issues with temperatures even in the real cold we had a month or so ago.