Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Viscosi ends long wait for Chester debut

FF News

Chester goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi made his long-awaited Vanarama Conference League home debut against Nuneaton Town at the weekend.

The 24-year-old Canadian-born goalkeeper, who signed for Chester in January [2015], come on as a late second half substitute for Jon Worsnop during The Seals’ penultimate Premier Division fixture, which they won 5-3 to notch-up 63 points.

For the Seals’ faithful, the decision to bring Viscosi on could well be deemed just-reward for a goalkeeper whose agility, sportsmanship, and shot-stopping prowess have certainly caught the eye during pre-match warm-ups.

In the run-up to the Nuneaton Town fixture, Viscosi impressed for Cheshire side during a friendly fixture against Port Vale on Tuesday [21 April] afternoon at Vale Park. And while the Sky Bet League One club fielded a number of trialists, The Seals managed to record an impressive 5-0 win, which saw Viscosi also make a number of fine saves throughout the match to keep the home side at bay.

Prior to arriving at the Deva Stadium, Viscosi attracted the attention of a number of Sky Bet League One and League Two clubs, including: AFC Wimbledon, Oldham Athletic, Carlisle United and Tranmere Rovers, prior to dislocating his shoulder while playing for Brackley Town in the Conference North in November 2014.

However, the Ottwanian goalkeeper pulls no punches about his eagerness to be playing regular first team football, but respects the fact that Worsnop had already established himself prior to agreeing terms at the Deva Stadium.

Viscosi said: "I am really pleased to have joined Chester after returning to the UK in January. Jon [Worsnop] and I get on well; we push other each to help raise each other’s game.

“I am pleased to have got some pitch-time against Nuneaton on Saturday, and hopefully I can look to capitalise on this in the summer and when the season re-starts in earnest.

“On personal level, I feel in great shape and, importantly, I am hungry for success and to carve out a career for myself in English football.

“I like the set-up at Chester. They have a loyal fan-base, good facilities, and a positive outlook for the future, which is an attractive proposition for any young footballer. When I put pen to paper in January, I knew that I wouldn’t regret my decision, and I haven’t. It’s now about seizing the opportunity to show everyone what I’m about during the 2015/6 season.

“I have always been an avid follower of football scene in England, and it feels great to have a genuine opportunity to be part of it this season and meet some really good people in the process,” he added.

Prior to arriving in the UK, Viscosi was offered professional terms to sign for Hungarian Premier League side Kaposvári Rákóczi. In 2013, he represented his native Canada at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia. He also spent four years playing in the United States, where he captained the University of Buffalo in division one of the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) football league.

Source: Chester FC

Source

Archived