Jump to content

Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 21-September 18 )

  • Photo
    Alan W (GNFC)

    Age: 56

  • Photo

    Age: 62

  • Photo
    Jurg LFC

    Age: 36

  • Photo

    Age: 40

  • Photo

    Age: 35


SAVE v Haringey Borough - 05/03/2002

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
No replies to this topic

offline MCD

  • Spectator
  • Posts: 362
  • Joined: 6 Sep 2001
Spartan South Midlands League - Premier Division
Somersett Ambury 4(2) v 0(0) Haringey Borough
Turner 33, Wales 36, Conway 79, Ideawor 88
Tuesday 5th March 2002
Report by Degsey

SAVE secured all three points in what was, in the end, a convincing win over Haringey Borough. Although SAVE had to endure some anxious moments early on, due to the pace of the visitor's front runners, they took control once that singular tactic was overcome.

In the 17th minute Phil Turner released Jeff Cross but the Haringey keeper came off his line smartly to avert the danger. SAVE had a narrow escape just a few moments later when Mark Meager rushed out of his area in a similar vain to his opposite number but his clearance hit the on-rushing forward and rebounded towards goal before finally squirming just inches wide. Ian Clark nearly open the scoring at the mid-point of the half when his long range shot beat the Haringey goalkeeper but his shot just cleared the bar. There was no mistake 10-minutes later, however, when SAVE got the break-through that they deserved albeit in rather fortuitous circumstance. From what should have been a routine clearance the Haringey defence contrived to get in each others' way. Seizing the opportunity Turner gained possession, advanced a few yards and drove his shot past the hapless Boro' keeper.

The build-up to the second goal, just three minutes later, was equally fortuitous but the finishing was not. Once again, the ball was given away cheaply when the goalkeeper made a hash of his clearance kicking the ball straight to Steve Wales who was some 25-yards from goal. He looked up, saw the keeper off his line and returned the ball with interest. Immediately prior to the break Haringey had a good opportunity to pull one back but a fine move ended with them hitting the side netting.

The second half began at a pedestrian pace but all that changed after 20 minutes of play when Haringey's centre forward was dismissed after scything down Scott Brooks, from behind, in what appeared to be his own retribution for an earlier incident. It only took SAVE a 14-minutes to make Haringey suffer for the misdemeanour as Gavin Conway, one of three players queuing in the penalty area, finished off a fine free-flowing move.

With just 5-minutes remaining, Haringey had their personnel reduced further when, after using their full compliment of substitutes, one of their players had to retire early. Shortly after, SAVE substitute Ambrose Ideawor, who had been on the field for less than 5-minutes, scored the final goal of the evening. To their credit, Haringey kept going to the end and forced Meager into making a couple of useful saves.

Team : Meager, Brooks (Weldon), Ledger, Craig, Clarke, Wales (Scripps), Conway, Reade, P.Ulatowski (Ideawor), Turner, Cross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus