Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Results 9th Feb

I understand that we took the game to Stony Stratford from the outset and had the lions share of the play throughout the proceedings other than the final ten minutes when they finished strongly, Jonathan Donoghue hit a post which, had it gone in, would have given us all three points.

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
Leverstock Green 3-0 Harefield United

This must be one of the results of the day:

http://www.levgreenfc.co.uk/mr20080209.htm

You nearly disappointed me by failing to make your usual Leverstock Green post! Why do you do this?

you are clearly not paying adequate attention to the Premier Division! Leverstock Green have the longest unbeaten run in the Division apart from Chalfont, not having lost since 3 November last year!

Originally Posted By: Horace
you are clearly not paying adequate attention to the Premier Division!

Horace - Who is really interested in the Premier Division this season other than the Club's involved and their connections such as yourself, the teams in the melting pot such as Brimsdown Rovers, Biggleswade Town, Chalfont St Peter, Harefield United and Beaconsfield SYCOB don't have any personality or character and you have to admit that the First Division is far more exciting and entertaining in terms of getting your pulses racing.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Originally Posted By: Horace
you are clearly not paying adequate attention to the Premier Division!

Horace - Who is really interested in the Premier Division this season other than the Club's involved and their connections such as yourself, the teams in the melting pot such as Brimsdown Rovers, Biggleswade Town, Chalfont St Peter, Harefield United and Beaconsfield SYCOB don't have any personality or character and you have to admit that the First Division is far more exciting and entertaining in terms of getting your pulses racing.

Both divisions are building up to an exciting climax! But the Premier division is just that - your division is the second tier of the league. 135 people were interested enough to come and watch us play (including legends Ossie Ardiles and Cliff Jones!)

Horace - Did I tell you that Cliff Jones once complimented me on my wing play, he used to be my PE teacher at Highbury Grove School in the early 70's. How old is he now.

Winslow United 1 -5 Royston !!

If you have the fortune to not visit Winslow United then you have been blessed (no disrespect intended)!!

The pitch was small, waterlogged (when it hasn't rained for a week) down the middle, and bobbly with crater holes in area out wide !!

If their was ever a case of a venue for a shock this was it and after 48 minutes with the score at 1-1 this upset was possible !!

However the RTFC youngsters who also had to the the brunt of an outstandingly poor officiating performance (what I saw trying to be neutral I would say the ref would be better officiating at Aussie Rules Football)came up trumps with an outstanding last half hour with Townsend getting his first for the club and Hammond notching a fifth hat trick.

Be warned if you still have to go to Winslow it could be very uncomfortable (for a pitch to be waterlogged when it hasn't rained is pretty funny ay ) !!

An excellent result for us and maybe an indication that teams near the bottom of the league will now start scrapping for much needed points to get away from the dreaded zone

Originally Posted By: The Watchfull Listener
Winslow United 1 -5 Royston !!

If you have the fortune to not visit Winslow United then you have been blessed (no disrespect intended)!!

The pitch was small, waterlogged (when it hasn't rained for a week) down the middle, and bobbly with crater holes in area out wide !!

Yep, nothing to be disagreed there. It is a hard place to go and you have to grind out results. If you haven't played a Brache yet your in for another treat! biggrininvasion

New Bradwell St Peter 2-0 Harpenden Town

I see that surprise package New Bradwell scraped a win yesterday to stay in contention:

A hard fought victory for the Peters who remain in 4th place in the table. We certainly made heavy weather of this game but deserved to win as we were the better side throughout the game.

We got off to a positive start playing 4-3-3 against strugglers Harpenden. We were quick to settle but failed to trouble the visiting defence, who tried to deny us space and time on the ball by putting several men behind the ball.

Lea Coulter almost opened the scoring when played through by Dean Robb. Coulters effort was well parried by the keeper for a corner. The corner came to nothing.

The first half became frustrating for Bradwell with Lee and Mooney harshly booked for tackles that should have gone unreported by the referee. The visitors dropped behind the ball, making it difficult for us to open them up with our usual passing style.

We eventually took the lead in the second half. We had enjoyed a period of pressure and had a couple of corners. The ball fell to Bendan Quill just outside the box. He hit the ball on the volley to score an outstanding goal from 20 yards for his 4th of the season.

Within a couple of minutes Harpenden had the chance to equalise from the spot. Kennards foul was rewarded with a booking for the keeper who was returning from a dislocated shoulder after three months out. The ball cannoned onto the crossbar and was cleared to safety by the home defence.

A few minutes later Kennard made a terrific save when their forward found himself in the clear, only to be denied in a one on one situation with Kennard who pulled off a sick save (sorry!).

Martyn Lee and Greg Tite came close to making the game safe with efforts that were blocked by defenders. Lee's shot was cleared off the line following good work out on the left hand side. Dave Cole had opened up the defence a couple of times but we failed to capitalise on the openings and went unrewarded.

Bradwell continued to try to get the game under control with a flowing style of football and eventually made the game safe after Kennard threw the ball out to Lea Coulter having caught the cross from Harpenden. Coulter advanced from inside his own half before passing to Kevin Hyde. Hyde shot with the outside of his right foot, curling the ball inside the left hand post to make the score two-nil to the home side. Hyde's 3rd of the season.

This wasn't a great performance from the home side but a win is a win and we cement a place in top 4. Brendan Quill was man of the match for his terrific goal and never say die attitude to defending. We have played better and lost over the last couple of years and never seem to play well against Harpenden.

Line up; Tom Kennard, Mike Downard, Tom Eglesfield, Rob Mooney, Brendan Quill, Ed Wheatley, Lea Coulter, Martyn Lee, Dave Cole, Greg Tite, Dean Robb
Subs used; Dave King, Kevin Hyde, Mihir Patel
Not used; Shaun Abson, Paul Stokes.

Horace - Did I tell you that Cliff Jones once complimented me on my wing play, he used to be my PE teacher at Highbury Grove School in the early 70's. How old is he now.

It was his 73rd birthday on wednesday, still acts like he was 21 doinng press up everyday haha

UsedCock - Excellent stuff, he's a legend, it's a coup for Cockfosters to have his Grandson playing for them and I bet they're milking it for all it's worth

Ampthill Town 3-5 Cheshunt Reserves

An anorak from another's Forum was in attendance, obviously Cheshunt Reserves are back in force since Gordon Boateng's arrival and it will be interesting to get Officer Dibble's view on his young stars in the making being discarded by Wader's 'friend':

Ampthill Town (1) 3, Cheshunt Reserves (4) 5
Spartan South Midlands League Division One
Attendance 35 est

Admission £3 incl a 16 page programme (10 pages of adverts)
Tea 50p

On my way through to Milton Keynes for the ice hockey thought I would drop in at Ampthill, a ground I hadn't visited for a couple of seasons. I was advised to go to an SSML match by a gentleman who assured me I would "get a few goals" and he certainly wasn't wrong on this occasion!.
Ampthill Town is set in a the location of Ampthill Park and being such a Spring like day it was a very pleasant place to visit. The club house in small but very smart with the bar and tea bar open for business on my arrival.

The match itself was an entertaining affair with the visitors taking an early lead and extending it to 4-1 by half time as Ampthill didn't seem to be "at the races".

A different second half with the home side pulling a goal back quickly but when Cheshunt scored a fifth it did take a bit of momentum out of the game. I expected more goals but had to wait until injury time when Ampthill claimed a late consolation to make the final score 3-5.

Incidentally the score at the ice hockey was also 3-5 , a strange coincidence as the scoring came close to being the same as the afternoon's football with Peterborough taking a 4-1 lead before going on to win.

UsedCock - Excellent stuff, he's a legend, it's a coup for Cockfosters to have his Grandson playing for them and I bet they're milking it for all it's worth

I'm not really sure if they know.......

You had better not tell them then, in particular Graham, but don't they wonder why Cliff comes down to watch games