Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed, retained, left the club

Posted (edited)

Signed

Retained

Hugo Sobte

Josh Jackman

Dan Bayliss

Scott Davies

Gary Abisogun

Leon Chambers-Perillon

Ollie Spicer

Gabe George

Jeanmal Prosper

Nathan Minhas

Slavi Spasov

David Ogbonna 

Left the club

Dan Lincoln

Temi Eweka - signed for Maidstone

Tyrese Dyce

Joe Dandy

Edited by Reading Rebel

I’d say we need 1 goalkeeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 1 striker. Surprised Hugo is sticking around as I’d thought he’d want regular game time (unless he’s being paid an astronomical amount!).

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

I’d say we need 1 goalkeeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 1 striker. Surprised Hugo is sticking around as I’d thought he’d want regular game time (unless he’s being paid an astronomical amount!).

or he will dual register with someone else too if we bring another in

17 minutes ago, Mark44 said:

or he will dual register with someone else too if we bring another in

Most probably, but you’d think after playing a few games at step 2 and doing well, a step 3 or 4 club would have been in for him.

Just now, Grant Brown said:

7 subs this season, room for a sub GK I’d say… Some are happy as a back up, Hugo probably just loves being involved as a local lad!

I’m sure I read somewhere these new rules only applied to the NL?

56 minutes ago, Grant Brown said:

7 subs this season, room for a sub GK I’d say… Some are happy as a back up, Hugo probably just loves being involved as a local lad!

Doesn't apply to the NLS.

2 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Very likely be dual registered.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GlenSTFC said:

Bare minimum on the assumption Goddard and Lenchy stay:

Keeper, center back, left back, central midfielder and a striker.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 20:17, Brettski said:

We really need to keep Lenchy and Goddard and invest in some experienced players not just youngsters 

The ages/experience of the two players and keeper we've allegedly signed are not known.

At the fans forum Scott intimated we won't be signing the older, experienced players from the levels above but more than likely they'll be the younger hungrier players from steps 3/4.

Edited by Reading Rebel

12 hours ago, Brettski said:

We really need to keep Lenchy and Goddard and invest in some experienced players not just youngsters 

Johnny Goddard is coming off of a great season which was recognised by his England C call up.
During his career he has been more of a full-time player than a part-time player, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he attracts a two year full-time contract from somewhere that he can’t resist.

In contrast, Matt Lench looked like he might have been carrying a minor injury & didn’t have his best season. Other than a few games, NLS and part-time football with us for seven years (with a few short breaks) is the highest he’s played. If he stays with us to the end of his career he will be remembered as one of our all time best players, & I think he will know that & stay with us.

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

Johnny Goddard is coming off of a great season which was recognised by his England C call up.
During his career he has been more of a full-time player than a part-time player, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he attracts a two year full-time contract from somewhere that he can’t resist.

In contrast, Matt Lench looked like he might have been carrying a minor injury & didn’t have his best season. Other than a few games, NLS and part-time football with us for seven years (with a few short breaks) is the highest he’s played. If he stays with us to the end of his career he will be remembered as one of our all time best players, & I think he will know that & stay with us.

Depends on what club and wage Lench has been offered. I think he’s early 30’s now so last chance of a decent pay day and no footballer would turn down a significant increase in wages plus a higher chance of gaining promotion.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Curtis said:

As far as I know Johnny Goddard runs his own business which could have big bearing on any decision he makes on his remaining time as a player.

It did look as if Matt Lench was carrying an injury for most of the season and didn't reach the dizzy heights he achieved the previous season but was still one of our best and most influential players.

As for staying and being remembered as one of our all time greats? possibly but are today's players really motivated by that or purely winning things and of course the money.

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

As far as I know Johnny Goddard runs his own business which could have big bearing on any decision he makes on his remaining time as a player.

It did look as if Matt Lench was carrying an injury for most of the season and didn't reach the dizzy heights he achieved the previous season but was still one of our best and most influential players.

As for staying and being remembered as one of our all time greats? possibly but are today's players really motivated by that or purely winning things and of course the money.

I dont think anyone has mentioned that his appearance against Nepal was Goddards third outing for England C.

24 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

I dont think anyone has mentioned that his appearance against Nepal was Goddards third outing for England C.

It was, the previous two were in March 2016 when he was at Woking, & two months later he signed a three year contract with League One Swindon.

On 13/05/2024 at 00:48, Reading Rebel said:

The ages/experience of the two players and keeper we've allegedly signed are not known.

At the fans forum Scott intimated we won't be signing the older, experienced players from the levels above but more than likely they'll be the younger hungrier players from steps 3/4.

You would think Slough will be in for a difficult season if that is the case.

Temi Eweka isn't going to be easy to replace. It's a real pity for Slough to lose Eweka and Dyce,two of our best signings in Scott's reign imo.

Obviously we will need to see who is inbound to Slough,and who else leaves us,to judge how good the squad will be this forthcoming season.

Last season Slough were the surprise package in the league and definitely over achieved to what was expected of them. 2024/25 season feels like it could be a step backwards seeing the above names depart and the rumoured exit of Johnny Goddard. Dan Lincoln less so given he hasn't been at Slough for very long.

What do you think,RR?

5 hours ago, 3spirit said:

You would think Slough will be in for a difficult season if that is the case.

Temi Eweka isn't going to be easy to replace. It's a real pity for Slough to lose Eweka and Dyce,two of our best signings in Scott's reign imo.

Obviously we will need to see who is inbound to Slough,and who else leaves us,to judge how good the squad will be this forthcoming season.

Last season Slough were the surprise package in the league and definitely over achieved to what was expected of them. 2024/25 season feels like it could be a step backwards seeing the above names depart and the rumoured exit of Johnny Goddard. Dan Lincoln less so given he hasn't been at Slough for very long.

What do you think,RR?

Although difficult to replace Tyrese Dyce did miss quite a few games towards the end of the season through injury so imo he won't be as bigger miss as someone like Johnny Goddard or Matt Lench were to leave. I think they are the only two remaining players from last years squad to commit for next season. 

Again although good players and a big miss I think Dan Lincoln and Temi Eweka are replaceable.

Without stating the obvious, recruitment is key to what sort of season we'll have. Lose Goddard or Lench or god forbid both I think we could be in for a long hard season as those two are almost impossible to replace with the same sort of quality for the money we are offering.

7 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Although difficult to replace Tyrese Dyce did miss quite a few games towards the end of the season through injury so imo he won't be as bigger miss as someone like Johnny Goddard or Matt Lench were to leave. I think they are the only two remaining players from last years squad to commit for next season. 

Again although good players and a big miss I think Dan Lincoln and Temi Eweka are replaceable.

Without stating the obvious, recruitment is key to what sort of season we'll have. Lose Goddard or Lench or god forbid both I think we could be in for a long hard season as those two are almost impossible to replace with the same sort of quality for the money we are offering.

I’m liking your confidence in being able to replace Eweka!!! Although you didn’t state like for like so technically yes we can replace him with any old crap! Unfortunately we’re not in a position to sign 6 step 2 players, more like 1 maybe 2 with the rest step 3 or below. Problem with that is it could see a repeat of a slow start whilst these untested players get to grips with a higher level. Fully expect Goddard and Lench to leave but really hope no one else does.

9 minutes ago, GlenSTFC said:

I’m liking your confidence in being able to replace Eweka!!! Although you didn’t state like for like so technically yes we can replace him with any old crap! Unfortunately we’re not in a position to sign 6 step 2 players, more like 1 maybe 2 with the rest step 3 or below. Problem with that is it could see a repeat of a slow start whilst these untested players get to grips with a higher level. Fully expect Goddard and Lench to leave but really hope no one else does.

We don't know what sort of money we can offer but it's safe to say players like Dan Lincoln, Temi, Goddard and Lench were/are not on peanuts and I'm sure their money, if all 4 left could fund some decent step two players.

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

We don't know what sort of money we can offer but it's safe to say players like Dan Lincoln, Temi, Goddard and Lench were/are not on peanuts and I'm sure their money, if all 4 left could fund some decent step two players.

Yes those 4 wages might stretch to 2 decent step 2 players but we’d be down by 2 players still? The board set out a 5 year plan to get promoted so even though we finished ahead of schedule last season, you would expect the aim this season is top 10 not far off 7th (in effect doing again what we’ve achieved already).

1 hour ago, GlenSTFC said:

Yes those 4 wages might stretch to 2 decent step 2 players but we’d be down by 2 players still? The board set out a 5 year plan to get promoted so even though we finished ahead of schedule last season, you would expect the aim this season is top 10 not far off 7th (in effect doing again what we’ve achieved already).

I'd say 4 decent step 2 players for their money but as I said we don't really know for sure how much our new owners could stretch to.

Our aim this season is the play offs as Scott stated at the fans forum.