Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Referee Appointments for Cup Finals

.. have not been announced yet. Who do members think should get these prestigous appointments - Challenge Trophy, Prem Div Cup, Div 1 Cup, Div 2 Cup

Mick Ewen did tell me who the referees were for the Challenge Trophy and Prem Div Cup, but I've forgotten! However, I can tell you that it's the normal procedure whereby the two highest marked referees get the two middles and the 3rd and 4th highest marked will be the two fourth officials. Not sure about the Div 1 & 2 Finals.

Thinking back, Michael Mackey might be doing one of the games.

Who Refereed the Challenge Trophy Final last season out of interest

Who's Mr Tweed, I thought you frowned upon criticising Referees. I think Ben Furneaux deserves one of the finals this year, he's much improved this season and has grown up a lot, he isn't so over zealous or card happy

Wasn't criticising him. He was the ref who messed up the penalty when Edgware appealed to the FA and got a rematch against Harefield. Wouldn't have given him the final, would they?

p.s. do you think Pete The Greek will get anything?

Horace - As far as I'm aware Mr Panayotiou has never Refereed a SSML fixture so he wouldn't qualify, I don't think Mick Ewen trusts him to Referee or perhaps he's not suitably qualified which is why he only runs the line.

So how does that work then if Mr Panayotiou hasn't Refereed a single SSML game all season

Originally Posted By: Football Man
However, I can tell you that it's the normal procedure whereby the two highest marked referees get the two middles and the 3rd and 4th highest marked will be the two fourth officials. Not sure about the Div 1 & 2 Finals.

Horace - I was going by Football Man's earlier post, how does the marking system work

Football Man makes no mention of Assistants - the finals will need those too!

Yes but how are Assistants marked over the course of a season if Club Secretaries only mark Referees, do Referees in turn mark the two Assistants after games in their reports

That answers it then, thanks, but Mr Panayotiou wouldn't accrue enough points anyway as he never officiates midweek, Mick Ewen never chooses him

• 1 year later...

I see that Mr Panayotiou hasn't been handed a game this year:

Challenge Trophy Final

Chalfont St Peter v Tring Athletic

at Harefield Utd FC

T. Donnellan, G. Starr, A. Waters, A. Aylott

Premier Division Final

St Margaretsbury v Tring Athletic

at Colney Heath FC

J. Hillier, R. Smith, J. Groom, C. Campbell

Division 1 Final

Ampthill Town v Royston Town

at Biggleswade Town FC

P. Saggars, B. Gale, M. Favell, S. Conway

Division Two Final

Hadley v Totternhoe

at London Colney FC

J. Chidley, S. O'Connor, T. Jeyes, P. Hazel

Horace, this from the Edgware Town news pages about the incident you refer to and was the first time in British football history that a referee's decision was overturned..

At the time the local and National press as well as many football pundits said that the decision of the FA to have the game replayed would open the floodgates for appeals against referee's decisions, but as I said at the time they were completely wrong.

When is a goal not a goal?

Dateline: Wednesday 6th September 2006

Mr Tweed, the referee in last nights game, against Harefield United, disallowed Edgware's penalty in the second half for encroachment. Giving the visitors an indirect free kick. His decision was wrong and does not follow FA rule 14 which states that as the ball entered the goal the penalty should have been retaken.

Edgware Town will now appeal the result as the referees decision adversely affected Edgware leveling the game and taking a share of the points.