Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The FA Cup

I suppose you would know as you must have been to the Racecourse on a number of occasions with Brentford.

I see justice was done tonight, Droylsden 2 Chesterfield 1, there is a God!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7795342.stm

Greg Dyke - Why not, Droylsden were home and hosed in the first match at Saltergate when the lights went out and deserved to go through. That makes nine non league teams into the third round, an unprecedented number which I think will never be beaten.

I assume their next game is against Luton! Yes sorry it was fog at Chesterfield with Droylsden in total control of the game, justice has certainly been done on this occasion which is often a rareity in football particularly at non league level.

I'm sure Chesterfield would argue that they were all but through before the floodlights went in the first replay which will no doubt make their defeat last night even harder to take.

And yes Chesterfield's next match is against Luton which is at Saltergate.

The FA can confirm that it is making enquiries into Droylsden's apparent fielding of an ineligible player in their FA Cup Second Round tie against Chesterfield last night.

The enquiries relate to defender Sean Newton, who picked up his fifth booking of the season on 9 December . According to The FA's Disciplinary Regulations, he was therefore suspended for one match from yesterday, Tuesday 23 December.

Droylsden were informed of the suspension on 10 December, which was then confirmed by the club four days later. Clubs are aware that they are responsible for checking that their players are eligible to play in any given match.

The matter will be dealt with by an FA Cup Committee hearing on Monday 29 December, in order to resolve it before the FA Cup Third Round match against Ipswich Town on 3 January 2009. All three clubs affected are being kept informed of developments.

Football Man - I assume you have read the same statement from the FA as I have (see above) however it doesn't say that Droylsden will be expelled from the competition and Chesterfield reinstated. Is the breakaway SSML Forum quiet today then as you are using this one.

Originally Posted By: Football Man
Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
I dont think justice was done, re-floodlight debacle though

Spot on, Greg. However, justice WILL be done on Monday when Droylsden are expelled from the Competition and Chesterfield are reinstated.

Indeed, I have it on good authority the FA wrote to the club, with the suspension details, in good time, but the abandonned tie caused confusuion.....however, even though goals and appearances are expunged from abandoned games, bookings are not....so I think Droylesden are OUT

I know that Bury were expelled from the competition two seasons ago for a similar 2nd Round 'offence' and Chester were reinstated however that tie involved two league sides and I'm sure Droylsden will get the sympathy vote. Anyway from what I hear it was an unfortunate misunderstanding and they genuinely thought that Sean Newton would serve his one match ban on Boxing Day and not last nights cup tie.

An anorak on another's Forum thinks that Droylsden will be found not guilty of playing an ineligible player but will then be found guilty for sabotaging the floodlights in the first replay when they were 2-0 down and kicked out of the competition anyway, I'm not sure how serious he is.

Very harsh in my opinion however they have appealed so there is still hope

Thanks and happy new year. Yes that's right, it's a very sad day as everyone outside Chesterfield would have liked to see Droylsden take their rightful place in the Third Round at Portman Road on Saturday.

Just one for Spidermanor if he's watching behind his computer screen and the crowd figure at Vicarage Road on Saturday for the game against Scunthorpe United, I know it wasn't the most mouth watering tie of the Third Round but 8,690 seemed particularly low.

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke

quite a big crowd for Watford I would have said

Yes but lets see what Spidermanor has to say