Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Welwyn Garden City - Get involved!!!

Hi everybody,

With WGC FC enjoying a renaissance under new bosses Del Deanus and Steve Newing, I think us fans need to get ourselves invovled a bit more with the club and extend the interest.

The local paper, the Welwyn and Hatfield Times, cover the club extensively and do lots of good write-ups for City.

They have a club mini-site which can be found at:

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/content/whtimes/sport/WGCFC/default.aspx

This includes match reports, latest news and picture galleries.

Also there is a forum at: http://www.whtimes.co.uk/cs/forums/1458/ShowForum.aspx

Lets get our views posted on here, its easy to sign up and means we can keep interest levels up at the club and keep that buzz going.

Jono

Originally Posted By: jacksparrow
they wont be at wgc next season, no doubt they will be looking for something higher.

Jacksparrow - That means Bilbo and his cohorts will be at yet another Club, four Club's in two seasons must be getting on for a record I would have thought. To be fair they are certainly capable of Coaching at Step 4 but Step 3 is questionable.

I see Oracle is predicting a 3v1 win for WGC at Levy Green today !!!! Not sure what the basis is for that unlikely score?

Levy Green have a strong and experienced squad, Matt Wardle is one of the most inventive and consistant players in the division and with James Armstrong and Bullitt make up an excellent strike force, capable of taking most teams in this division apart,now they have sorted out their defence, they are a formidable proposition.

Welwyn will do well to get a point.

Wendoverwatcher - Yes, Leverstock Green have scored a lot of goals at Pancake Lane this season and easily beat a good Watford side in the Herts Senior Cup on Tuesday, apart from Harefield United they have lost the fewest league games. They will also still be on a high following the recent dressing room and Club house refurbishment and this link is a great story:

http://www.levgreenfc.co.uk/clubnews.htm

Very good result for WGC today. Will be interesting to see the team sheets.

Yes a great result but obviously the Welwyn team will be full of Del and Steve's mercenaries, I doubt one of them actually lives in Welwyn Garden City or the surrounding area.

Stones1966 - Welwyn Garden City is supposed to be a Community Club for the good people of Welwyn Garden City and the surrounding area, local lads should be brought through the ranks to play for their City Club however I very much doubt that process is happening under Del and Steve's leadership.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Stones1966 - Welwyn Garden City is supposed to be a Community Club for the good people of Welwyn Garden City and the surrounding area, local lads should be brought through the ranks to play for their City Club however I very much doubt that process is happening under Del and Steve's leadership.

That appears to be a "quaint" philosophy for a club.
Where did you get that idea from?
I have little evidence that this happens in the Spartan League, or am I completely wrong on this one?

Bramley - You are not wrong, few Clubs can afford to just look within their local area. Although I do think the first post in this thread has a bit of 'sing when your winning' about it, get behind the Club NOW, because they have two top Managers and higher quality players they have brought with them. My own view is that this Welwyn side, definitely increase the quality in the premier division, and that is generally a good thing. I know Langford can't wait to test themselves against a side that is basically one step up.

MIKO - Well you have summed it up right there with the comment about Langford 'testing themselves against a side that is basically one step up', in other words in little over a month Del and Steve have succeeded in transforming Welwyn Garden City from a lowly SSML Premier Division Club to a potential Step 4 Club by bringing in a lot of mercenaries, none of which live within miles of the City, and who will be off like a shot when 'the deadly duo' leave no doubt leaving the Club to pick up the pieces.

Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble

Considering the fact that all the WGC players play for nothing

Barney Rubble - That's certainly not what I've heard on the grapevine, I would be extremely surprised if that is the case and very much stand by my earlier comments.

We all know the reason why the players are playing for Del and for that they should be given credit, especially when they could be earning money else where.

However i think the club have shown a lot of faith in del and steve, if they are not there next year the club would be left with 1/2 local players at most and a reserve side that are worse than poor.