Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Pearson Cup

Spoke to David Axcell Referee at our game tonight, (reserves) he was going down memory lane from when the ESL was first set up and was recalling a game he was involved in, in a competition called the PEARSON CUP. (could be spelt pierson)?

Understand this was a league cup.

Anyone old enough to recall it?

He said the season after he got a call upto the Football league.

Edited by WA WTFC

Spoke to David Axcell Referee at our game tonight, (reserves) he was going down memory lane from when the ESL was first set up and was recalling a game he was involved in, in a competition called the PEARSON CUP. (could be spelt pierson)?

im assuming it was a sponsors name, possibly the League Challenge Cup which run for 4 years from 1971 i would recommend Keith Roes excellent history of the League.

im assuming it was a sponsors name, possibly the League Challenge Cup which run for 4 years from 1971 i would recommend Keith Roes excellent history of the League.

The Pearson Trophy is closer to home than you may think as it is our League Championship Trophy and dates to 1895. So it is presently in the hands of Stansted FC.

Originally it was competed for by Colchester United, Chelmsford City and Clacton Town ( I have a programme of the game at New Writtle Street in 1963) . There used to be or may still be, a photo in the FC Clacton clubhouse of the great England Amateur International, Vivian Woodward and his Clacton team in 1928 with the Trophy.

When we were formed in 1971 it was presented to us by the Essex County F A and is always checked each season by our Silversmiths, in Southend , that it is in good order. It is a magnificent trophy.

So, in the knowledge that the iconic Dave Axcell refereed many an important game in the 70's before going on to greater glory, his Pearson Trophy game was probably the 1971-72 Challenge play off when Billericay beat Witham Town 2-1.

Thank you, Witham Town for those happy memories !

The Pearson Trophy is closer to home than you may think as it is our League Championship Trophy and dates to 1895. So it is presently in the hands of Stansted FC.

Originally it was competed for by Colchester United, Chelmsford City and Clacton Town ( I have a programme of the game at New Writtle Street in 1963) . There used to be or may still be, a photo in the FC Clacton clubhouse of the great England Amateur International, Vivian Woodward and his Clacton team in 1928 with the Trophy.

When we were formed in 1971 it was presented to us by the Essex County F A and is always checked each season by our Silversmiths, in Southend , that it is in good order. It is a magnificent trophy.

So, in the knowledge that the iconic Dave Axcell refereed many an important game in the 70's before going on to greater glory, his Pearson Trophy game was probably the 1971-72 Challenge play off when Billericay beat Witham Town 2-1.

Thank you, Witham Town for those happy memories !

Thanks Chairman i wonder whos won it the most times? i'll just check Keith Roes excellent history..... oh it appears Basildon United with 5 {five} titles, our local rivals Bowers arent too far behind us with 1.

• 10 months later...