Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Blues 1 Ash Trees 2

Swifty

Justice.

In terms of shots on goal, we should have lost by some margin. In terms of playing the game properly, we deserved the victory.

Three quotes from other 'Ashfordians' present...

(Referring to the lack of yellow cards) "The only thing yellow on that ref is his backbone"

"If I had to watch this team every week, I'd give up"

"Burnham versus Woodford would send me to sleep"

Burnham were very effective going forward, should have scored four of five and been out of sight, and they played a very effective pressing game while we rarely got close enough. They have enough skill to be really good. On the minus side. and it's a bg minus, they're filthy. To call some of their play agricultural would result in a lawsuit from the National Union of Farmers. In the first ten minutes, two players made injury-attempting kicks on our lads when the ball had been played. As a team. they didn't get any better. During one of our attacks in the second half, the advice from their dugout was "kick him". Says it all.

I didn't visit or watch Burnham for years after an appalling tackle from behind on our pitch which broke Paul Johnson's leg and the perpetrator didn't even get a red card. They haven't changed.

Sadly, the game was officiated, and I use the term loosely, by a worm of a ref, Tony Power, notorious for not booking anyone unless you virtually cut them in half. His idea of trying to cut out the chopping tackles was to give a 'naughty boy' chat. When he finally booked someone, I assume it made "News At Ten". He was also consistently 20 to 30 yards behind play. His 'assistant' on the clubhouse side was just as useless. The nadir was the occasion when it was a clear corner and the 'lino' sheepishly waited for the ref's confirmation before pointing for a corner kick. Respect? I agree with the scheme, but when the officials are this bad you really have to wonder.

Burnham should have been 3 or 4 ahead at half time but only went in one up when their number 18 (they didn't have a number 8 shirt at our place either!) hit a hard 20 yard shot in the 39th minute which bounced and caught Macca out. In fairness, Macca made some smart saves and the defence also helped, sometimes with a bit of luck, to keep the scoreline manageable at the break.

Burnham's big mistake was to use all their subs with 20 minutes left. Having been sterile in terms of shots on target, the lads found another gear and pressed. From a corner, their keeper made a great save from a Russ header but, from the scramble, Sammy prodded the ball home. With everyone pleased that it looked like we'd taken it to extra time, Kofi (who'd, erm, had a quiet game) was in the right place to drill home from close range in the 90th minute. The ref decided to play nearly 8 minutes' stoppage time and there were a few dicey moments, but the lads held out.

My first look at Robbo playing right back tonight - impressed. Just as impressed with the lads' relentless, never-give-up attitude. We may not win this competition, but I'm delighted we're in the next round.

Archived