Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ducks 1 Ash Trees 0

Swifty

So, that's it, then. Seven wins in all competitions this season, a solitary win on a Saturday, and bye-bye to step 4.

Another decent performance against reasonable but not earth-shattering opposition, but which lacked a cutting edge, seals our fate as the bottom club and a drop down to The Combined Counties or equivalent. Very hard to take when we had to negotiate four divisions from The CCFL to make the Isthmian Premier in the first place and now it's only a two division drop back.

We played well enough but the goal summed up our season. A needless shirt pull on the edge of the box resulted in a daisy cutter free kick which went through the "wall" and gave Tyler no chance. We still had half an hour to get the point we needed, and we thought we'd got it when Clark tucked it home in the 88th, but it was ruled out for offside.

We had several good chances in the first half and were the better team going forward, but Sammy missed two one-on-ones, Weighty just missed with a diagonal header across goal and Conor was also unlucky. The team's effort was exemplified by Russ turning up on the right byline and putting in a great cross. Playing down the slope in the second half, we didn't quite ignite as muchand United werre more on top, but we still had our moments. We probably just about deserved a draw but lost, and that's the sixth or seventh time that's happened this season. It galls me that we effectively gave NGU and Chertsey ("we'll resign from the League and not tell our players") a 20 game head start, and came close to catching them, but not quite.

So, what now? If we go back to The Combined Counties we'll at least have less travelling and some local derbies which may help the gate receipts. A drop to the Spartan South Midlands or the Hellenic won't help the finances anywhere near as much. We can also expect to receive less money from FA Cup wins, as we'll start earlier in the competition where the prize money's less, and we can say goodbye to the FA Trophy (which, in all honesty, has been compromised in recent years by letting the Conference clubs join after several rounds have been played). The FA Vase would give us a familiar and popular challenge, and a good run in that would boost our confidence and maybe put us (back) on the map.

I understand Jim Mann's left the club and starts police training this week (what a way to end his career on the pitch for us) and Sammy's back off to his parent club. We need to keep the likes of Tyler, Elliott (who was sadly missed in midfield today), Ryan, Rhys and Clark (the latter two coming on as subs despite not being match fit - that shows character), plus some of the seasoned old lags for next season, and we desperately need a couple of spearhead strikers who can get 15 to 20 a season.

Sadly, for every youngster gallantly climbing the steep learning curve and every 'old hand' doing their best this season, we've been let down by players jettisoning just when we needed to build the team round them (e.g. Duffy and Bitmead) and others who simply didn't have the guts or fight in them and left (or have thrown in the towel) at the first opportunity. Turner, Conner and Awofisan, I'm talking to you. One player who looks like he wants to stay is Ryan Dearden, on the ground in tears at the final whistle, who said  "We'll come back stronger next season". Here's hoping.

Swifty I'm talking to you. I think you'd do well to look at the games I played and anyone saying I didn't have guts or fight can stroll on. I gave everything on the pitch, took batterings and gave defenders hard times baring in mind we played one up front, not bad going. Everybody who knows me knows full well that I would give 120% on the pitch no matter who it's against or for. I never 'threw in the towel' at all. Also rather than sitting behind a keyboard I'm more than willing to meet you and any other supporters to talk about my reasons for leaving as it's clear to me you may not have been given the correct info. All the supporters were great so thank you all. There are a few reasons as to why I left, I will not publish these online but I would suggest in future getting facts right before calling people out on public Internet forums. As I said I'm more than willing to meet people to discuss, if, as I expect, no one cares then please stop calling me out.

Vey sorry, Adam. I admit you did take some batterings in our colours, ran yourself into the ground and showed real promise for us. It was just a shame that you left so quickly, and maybe I was misinformed about your departure, being just a supporter and not a committee member,.I think the emotion of yesterday got to me, as was evident in my post.

True, I mentioned you by name in the email, and looking back at the facts unfairlly so, given we had a few players this season who came and left and I couldn't tell you who they were, such was their legacy in our kit. On reflection, unlike them, I'd be happy to see you have another stint with us some time in the future if you fancied it. By the way, how's your injury healing after the Vase game?

I see on the website  we refer to the home team yesterday as Aylesbury Unt. I met the actual Aylesbury Unt - the officious steward who asked me to take the flag down in a rude and undiplomatic manner. the fans we met were really decent folk.

I'm now officially old. United's fans sang a chant to the tune of a discredited pop star, I shouted out it was very un-PC to sing a Gary Glitter tune, and one of our young fans said "Who's Gary Glitter"?

Maybe I've missed something but are we definitely going down with Chertsey resigning from the league and various other clubs in the country packing up or stepping down divisions?

Although it has been a disastrous season, it has been very encouraging that the spirit seems to have returned to the club in the past few weeks. I have nothing but admiration for Ben, his assistants and this present group of players for giving their all since the defeat to Chertsey in February.

With regards to so many players leaving the club this season, surely there must be a common denominator? I find it difficult to believe that they all left for personal reasons. My guess that the atmosphere was not good in the dressing room earlier in the year, which was the cause of most of the departures.

All is not lost because the club is being very sensibly run, we are on course to become debt free with maybe therefore the chance of a higher playing budget next season?

It's all very muddy and done on something of an ad-hoc basis from one season to another. We may well be seen as 21st in the eyes of the FA, as Chertsey may be perceived as finishing bottom due to resigning from the league, but reprieves for penultimate clubs are considered on a points-per-game rule and our 'PPG' was so low that we would be first contenders for relegation. Finishing bottom, below a resigning club, won't have helped us.

The Boy's where superb again, so many chances created. If only we had the luck that some of the oppo have had through the season we would not be in this position. All the squad have my respect they have all given the club everything. We'll done to all involved over the last few months.

I agree, our luck (or lack of it) has been shocking. I honestly think we were the better of the bottom three. Unfortunately, our nievety and honesty cost us.

A great effort over the last couple of months from everyone.

Archived