Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Port Vale chairman plays down Gulls investment rumours

FF News

Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite has played down rumours he is interested in investing in National League Premier side Torquay United.

Smuthwaite was a guest of the Torquay board at Saturday's game against Wrexham before attending Vale's game at Exeter the following day.

He has a good relationship with Torquay, who have taken Vale players Achille Campion and Nathan Smith on loan this season.

Rumours that he could take over at Torquay have been circulating, and they grew on Monday when he announced he planned to sell Vale.

Smurthwaite told the Torquay Herald Express that he and his wife have plans to retire to Devon. However, he played down the possibility of investing in the Gulls.

He said: "I got the feeling that it was a foregone conclusion that I was the 'white knight'. But unfortunately I can't be."

The paper reports that Smurthwaite sounded out the Football League earlier this year about possibly making a move for Torquay while he was still in the process of selling Vale.

He added: "The League has killed that now, although if someone bought Port Vale, it would be a different situation."

Talking about his visit to the Torquay game on Saturday, he told the Herald Express: "I came down at the weekend to see the team play, to see how young Nathan was playing and to see if there was anything I could do to help."

Source: www.stokesentinel.co.uk

Source

Archived