Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield - 2023/2024

The Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield is back after a sabbatical and the draw was made shortly after the end of last season, the final First Round tie will be added shortly when known, I believe it involves London Colney:

Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield First Round

Colney Heath v Welwyn Garden City (Thursday 20 July, kick off 3.00pm)   

Leverstock Green v Tring Athletic (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm)  

London Lions v St Margaretsbury (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm) 

Hadley v Baldock Town (Thursday 27 July, kick off 7.45pm)  

Cheshunt v Berkhamsted FC (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

Ware FC v Potters Bar Town (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

Wormley Rovers v Hoddesdon Town (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

Edited by Rhodes

• Rhodes changed the title to Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield - 2023/2024

Yes, apologies, the missing First Round tie is London Colney v Letchworth Garden City Eagles on Tuesday 25 July:

Colney Heath v Welwyn Garden City (Thursday 20 July, kick off 3.00pm)   

Leverstock Green v Tring Athletic (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm)    

London Lions v St Margaretsbury (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm) 

London Colney v Letchworth Garden City Eagles (Tuesday 25 July, kick off 7.45pm) 

Hadley v Baldock Town (Thursday 27 July, kick off 7.45pm)  

Cheshunt v Berkhamsted FC (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

Ware FC v Potters Bar Town (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

Wormley Rovers v Hoddesdon Town (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

I'm a bit 'confused of Tunbridge Wells' by this, the Combined Counties League Full Time site has Oxhey Jets playing Sawbridgeworth Town in the Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield First Round on Thursday 27 July, is it just a schoolboy error as Karen used to say, God rest her soul:

https://fulltime.thefa.com/fixtures.html?league=3956158&selectedSeason=34407278&selectedDivision=401068103&selectedCompetition=0&selectedFixtureGroupKey=1_704104617

5 hours ago, View from the Boundary said:

I was told we'd got Sawbridgeworth in the charity shield a 3 weeks ago, nothing on the Herts FA site about it though.

View from the Boundary - The plot thickens then, there are already eight First Round ties aren't there.

2 hours ago, View from the Boundary said:

And thickens further, I'm told our match will be our first of the season on Thursday (!) 27 July. Never known a season to start on a Thursday but anything goes these days. The Cup Final was in June, the World Cup Final in Christmas week, idk what normal is anymore.

Sadly it's not the beautiful game any longer, it's football (Jim) but not as we know it 😉. Take VAR for example, thank God that hasn't been introduced at our level. I'm wondering whether Wormley Rovers v Hoddesdon Town is an actual Hertfordshire FA Charity Shield First Round tie, what do you think.

Edited by Rhodes

Yes, Cheshunt v Berkhamsted FC and Ware FC v Potters Bar Town were errors and they play in the Hertfordshire FA Charity Cup, I'm surprised nobody picked up on that. Here are the correct pairings, Harpenden Town have a First Round bye and will travel to the winners of Leverstock Green and Tring Athletic in the Quarter Finals: 

1. Colney Heath v Welwyn Garden City (Thursday 20 July, kick off 7.45pm)   

2. Leverstock Green v Tring Athletic (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm)    

3. London Lions v St Margaretsbury (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm) 

4. London Colney v Letchworth Garden City Eagles (Tuesday 25 July, kick off 7.45pm) 

5. Hadley v Baldock Town (Thursday 27 July, kick off 7.45pm)  

6. Wormley Rovers v Hoddesdon Town (Tuesday 1 August, kick off 7.45pm)

7. Oxhey Jets v Sawbridgeworth Town (tbc)

First Round bye: Harpenden Town

https://www.hertfordshirefa.com/cups-and-competitions/cups/2023-2024/charity-shield/results

Edited by Rhodes

On 19/07/2023 at 16:38, Rhodes said:

1. Colney Heath v Welwyn Garden City (Thursday 20 July, kick off 7.45pm)   

A groundhopper from another Forum was at the Recreation Ground last night, a very good win for Colney Heath. Also see Welwyn Garden City's version of events:

https://www.welwyngardencityfc.org.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=655036

Herts Charity Shield - Round 1
Colney Heath v Welwyn Garden City 1-0 (ht 0-0)
Venue: Recreation Ground; (ko 1945hrs)
Entry: £8/5 , online programme
Attendance: h/c 140
This was a cup upset as Step 5 Colney Heath snatched victory in the last minute of a tight and competitive match. Step 4 WGC had lost 7-1 on Saturday as they experimented with a multitude of trialists, and played a weakened side on Tuesday night at Wingate and Finchley losing 5-0. But that didn't help tonight as they struggled to impose themselves on their lower level opposition.
The first half was a tight affair with WGC's attacks looking the more likely, but their only shot on target was headed off the line with the keeper stranded. The Colney Heath line-up was a mixture of new signings and familiar faces, but this formula had failed to produce a goal in three pre-season friendlies so far, and it didn't look any more hopeful at halftime.
The second half continued in the same vein, but gradually the chances were becoming more threatening and it looked like WGC would eventually make the breakthrough. However, it was Heath who nearly scored on 58 minutes when an excellent attempt from the righthand side thudded against the WGC post. The visitors continued to go close without really testing the Heath keeper, and a penalty shoot-out was looking increasingly likely. But Heath's late substitutions seemed to have galvanised their front line and they were finishing strongly. A pass out to right wing beat the offside trap and, with WGC defenders still distracted by the decision to play on, the cross eluded two Heath players before a third was able to control the ball and find the far corner of the net. Five minutes of added time weren't enough for WGC to get the equaliser and Heath now go into the quarter-finals, and a chance to win the Shield for the third time in seven years.
Only one minor change to the ground I think, there are now two turnstiles with one cash and the other card payment. There were the usual faces in the crowd, including various former players, and a burger stand run by the Club. I find this a nice Club to visit.

Edited by Rhodes

2. Leverstock Green v Tring Athletic (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm)    

3. London Lions v St Margaretsbury (Saturday 22 July, kick off 3.00pm) 

Two First Round ties take place this afternoon at Pancake Lane and Rowley Lane.

Saturday's results, Tring Athletic get sweet and deserved revenge then for their West Hertfordshire St Mary's Cup Final defeat in May, they were robbed blind in the Final at Vauxhall Road having not been awarded a cast iron penalty late on:

Saturday 22 July

Leverstock Green 2 Tring Athletic 4

https://levgreenfc.co.uk/event/230722f/

https://www.tringathletic.co.uk/teams/252691/match-centre/0-5665485/report

London Lions 2 St Margaretsbury 3

4. London Colney v Letchworth Garden City Eagles (Tuesday 25 July, kick off 7.45pm) 

Letchworth Garden City Eagles travel to Cotlandswick this evening.

A disappointing defeat last night at Cotlandswick for Letchworth Garden City Eagles:

Tuesday 25 July

London Colney 3 Letchworth Garden City Eagles 1

On 26/07/2023 at 19:25, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 25 July

London Colney 3 Letchworth Garden City Eagles 1

A groundhopper from another Forum was in attendance at Cotlandswick on Tuesday evening, wasn´t £8 a little on the pricey side. See a link to the on-line programme:

https://issuu.com/londoncolney/docs/lc_v_lgce

Herts Charity Shield - Round 1
London Colney v Letchworth Garden City Eagles 3-1 (ht 0-1)
Venue: North Orbital Road, St Albans; (ko 19.45hrs)
Entry: £8/5 cash only, free on-line programme (4 page, very basic)
Attendance: 45
This was my third in a trilogy of games in this season's competition, but I wasn't going to see a hattrick of cup upsets as both teams compete at step 6. London Colney were relegated from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division at the end of last season, and now find themselves in the First Division of the Combined Counties League. Quite a change of orientation considering that they were facing the possibility of being transferred to the Essex Senior League a few years ago. But at least the county cups will provide familar opponents, even if they probably haven't faced LGC Eagles very often (if at all) as they only joined the Spartan South Midlands League two years ago.
The game did actually turn out to be a bit of an upset as the hosts only pulled ahead once down to ten men. Eagles had started well and won a penalty after 16 minutes. A long clearance from their defence turned out to be a great pass as it allowed their number 9 to run clear with the ball before being taken down in the box. Only a yellow card for the defender presumably because some other defenders had managed to, at least, keep in line with him so he wasn't technically the last man. Max Smith made the conversion of the penalty look easy. The hosts slowly worked their way into the game and had a few half chances before the break as Eagles' grip on the game was slipping.
The momentum continued to swing towards London Colney as their number 9 headed in a cross five minutes after the break. It was now a much more even game and although Eagles had their chances it was their keeper who had to make an excellent save to prevent the hosts from taking the lead. London Colney's hopes of a comeback were dealt a blow on 75 minutes when they went down to ten men for, I believe, a second yellow card. But four minutes later they did indeed take the lead as a cross was headed back from the far post and headed in at the near post. Eagles were unable to respond and the hosts wrapped it up with a third goal deep into added time. London Colney now play local rivals Colney Heath in the quarter-finals.

I don't like parking at the ground itself so, as usual, I parked on London Colney high street. I then walked through the car park of the Leisure Centre to the ground, only to find that that entrance is no longer used. I had to walk through the park, around two sides of the ground and through a gap in the hedge to join the driveway that is now the only way for drivers and pedestrians to entry. There is no parking on the North Orbital Road so you have to drive into the ground. The cark park gets very full very earlier and there is double parking. The only other parking is on the driveway directly adjacent to one of the touchlines. I'm not sure what they'll do if they get a big crowd but I'll be cycling next time I go.

The results thus far, Oxhey Jets v Sawbridgeworth Town still doesn´t appear to have been arranged with the winners hosting Wormley Rovers or Hoddesdon Town in the Quarter Finals, St Margaretsbury host Baldock Town, Tring Athletic entertain Harpenden Town and Colney Heath and London Colney meet at the Recreation Ground: 

1. Colney Heath 1 Welwyn Garden City 0 (Thursday 20 July)   

2. Leverstock Green 2 Tring Athletic 4 (Saturday 22 July)    

3. London Lions 2 St Margaretsbury 3 (Saturday 22 July) 

4. London Colney 3 Letchworth Garden City Eagles 1 (Tuesday 25 July) 

5. Hadley 0 Baldock Town 1 (Thursday 27 July)  

6. Wormley Rovers v Hoddesdon Town (Tuesday 1 August)

7. Oxhey Jets v Sawbridgeworth Town (tbc)

First Round bye: Harpenden Town

https://www.hertfordshirefa.com/cups-and-competitions/cups/2023-2024/charity-shield/results

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 17:43, View from the Boundary said:

Jets v Sawbo will be the first Tuesday when both are free, but who knows when that might be as August is a no go and the CCL haven't released September fixtures yet (and last year only did so on August 30th from memory, it's the worst run league in the pyramid, absolute joke).

I have it on good, sorry, very good authority that Oxhey Jets and Sawbridgeworth Town will finally lock horns at the Boundary Stadium on Tuesday 5 September with the winners hosting Wormley Rovers in the Quarter Finals. The St Margaretsbury v Baldock Town Quarter Final tie is scheduled for Station Road on Tuesday 19 September however Tring Athletic v Harpenden Town and Colney Heath v London Colney have yet to be arranged.

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, this delayed First Round tie is finally taking place tomorrow evening (Tuesday 5 September):

May be an image of basketball, football and text that says "NEXT GAME HERTFORDSHIRE FA CHARITY SHIELD FIRST ROIND Jets Oxhey Jets FC fd1478 VS SAIMIDEWO FOOTBALL CLUB OXHEY JETS vs SAWBRIDGEWORTH TOWN TUESDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER 7:30 KICK OFF BOUNDARY STADIUM, ALTHAM WAY, SOUTH OXHEY, WATFORD, WD19 6FW"