Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today, 30 years ago

The old amateur cup is at the Football museum at Preston. Before the start of the season, we played AFC Wimbledon to commemerate to the 40 years since our meeting at Wembley in the final, and we were due to have the amateur cup borrowed from Preston for the day (along with the FA Cup), but because of it's poor condition, it was decided not to move it, and so we got the replica Jules Rimet cup given to Bobby Moore on that wondeful day in 1966, along with the final ball. Not a bad swap!

It is currently at FA Towers in London I believe for a short stay. We should take the chance to have a replica made to put in the cabinet at Woodside Park - as it is for all time ours :-)

Attendance 31,458 at Wembley Stadium. Wonder what the gate will be at the Trophy final at Villa Park this year?

And would you believe it. History repeats itself 30 years on - 20th April 2004 Bishop's Stortford 4-1 Cheshunt (Herts Charity Cup Final). Mind you it wasn't Wembley and there weren't 31,000 watching this time, but silverware is always gratefully received.

In the words of a profound statesman I know, "You couldn't make it up, could ya"!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the posting of it being seen at Sutton v. AFC Wimbledon 40 years after their meeting at Wembley...excuse me? AFC Wimbledon were formed as a new club in 2002. The team that played Sutton United in 1963 were Wimbledon FC, who have re located to Milton Keynes.

Can anyone tell me if Enfield Town claim the history of Enfield FC, who they broke away from, after selling their ground, & eventually re locating to Boreham Wood?