Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

SSML Division 1 Odds

Originally Posted By: Horace
Are you suggesting that he should have arranged his holidays around a pre-season friendly?

I would have done, it's not every day you're 100 years old!

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
it's not every day you're 100 years old!

Actually, you're wrong (what a surprise!). It is the football club's centenary YEAR . Therefore, they are 100 years old from 1 January to 31 December. I believe that makes them 100 years old every day this year.

Obviously, if you know the actual date of formation then it's slightly different as they will be 100 from the anniversary date and for the following 365 (as next year is a leap year) days.

Jack Sparrow - If you like I can put you in direct contact with my bookie friend who will happily take your investment, no doubt you want to pile onto Haringey Borough at 13/2. Like the Martini advert says I agreed to meet Gavin any time, any place, anywhere to give him his £60 winnings but he's not interested so that's his problem.

He specifically asked you to send a cheque to Edgware Town Football Club, didn't he?

Well yes and no, I wasn't sure whether he was serious as he made the bet personally and surely cash would be better if we were to meet up, it's not that he lives in Cranfield or Biggleswade.

There you go again, putting your own individual take on something that was clear and unequivocal.

Horace - Not at all, I don't do that, this is apparently what I was accused of doing at Coles Park by 'Sugar', the Club's Chairman who won't be at his Club's Centenary Cup match with London Colney this afternoon to meet and greet League Chairman Pat Burns and Treasurer Tony Forrester, disgusting!

Rhodes - there you go, denying to yourself what is clear to everyone else! You DO put your own individual slant on things, and generally dig your heels in even if you are clearly proved wrong! This is what irritates Football Man and myself so much.

There can be no uncertainty about what Gavin asked you to do. How can you say that he did not ask you, on this forum, to send a cheque to his football club?

There's no denying he did ask and I'm not saying he didn't but I simply thought he was joking that's all, if he made the bet himself then why would he want me to send the winnings to the Football Club. Anyway you conveniently fail to mention the other matter of 'Sugar's' behaviour, if you were still Chairman of Hertford Town and the SSML Chairman and Treasurer were visiting for your Centenary match would you disappear the day before on holiday.

There's no denying he did ask and I'm not saying he didn't but I simply thought he was joking that's all, if he made the bet himself then why would he want me to send the winnings to the Football Club. Anyway you conveniently fail to mention the other matter of 'Sugar's' behaviour, if you were still Chairman of Hertford Town and the SSML Chairman and Treasurer were visiting for your Centenary match would you disappear the day before on holiday.

YOU threw in the stuff about "Sugar" into another matter - I was ignoring it because I am tired of it. But I will answer your question. If I were still chairman, and I had a booked holiday which prevented me attending a prestigious match such as this, I would inform the league dignitaries in advance that I would not be able to make it, and I would tell them that I had asked my vice-chairman to deputise. I would not cancel my holiday.

Now, going back to the point I was really making, this fully illustrates how you are wired up differently to a normal person. You are still saying that you were able to read into an unequivocal statement something that could not be inferred by anyone else - ie, that Gavin didn't really mean it. If I was to dig really deep into this I would ask the following questions -

1. did Gavin ever give you £10 to place on his team to win?
2. did you ever place said tenner with your bookie mate?
3. did you ever collect on the bet?
4. if so , where is the money now?
5. are you now going to send £70 (including the original stake) to Edgware Town Football Club, The White Lion Ground, High Street, Edgware, HA08 5AQ ? Hurry, because they won't be there much longer - you may need to consider sending it to the club secretary (see last year's SSMFL handbook)

If Gavin never actually gave you the £10, but you did in fact place a £10 bet with your bookie on his behalf, with your own money, you will only need to send £60 of course.

Horace - Was your lengthy post really necessary just to get across the fact that I'm supposedly wired up differently to a normal person which I'm not. In answer to your 5 questions:

1. No I paid the £10 for Gavin so only need to give him £60 not £70.

2. Yes of course I made the bet for him, I had £20 on Edgware myself but only at odds of 9/2.

3. Yes of course I collected the winnings, he paid out when it was mathematically impossible for them to be caught by Harefield United.

4. I don't quite understand the question or what you're suggesting.

5. I have sent items to the Edgware Club Secretary before and they haven't reached Gavin so I won't be doing as you suggest, if Gavin wants his £60 so badly then surely he would go out of his way to collect it and arrange a meeting. I'll even buy him a pint as unlike the likes of Browndog and Wader I don't have a problem with him, he's obviously hugely enthusiastic about his Club and think he's just misunderstood.

Ok, so it's £60.00

Whilst I now concede that it's possible that Gavin meant that you should send the money to him via Edgware Town FC, I remain pretty convinced that he meant that he was donating it to his Club. I would quote the relevant post, but as both you and himself are amongst the highest posters in history, it has not been worth my while trying to track the post down.

I have posted my last post on this subject. Even though I regard it as up there with the shirt and ball scandal!

Horace - Thanks for trying to clarify the position but there really isn't anything to clarify and you have been wasting your time. How you can say that it is on a par with the signed shirt and ball scandal is beyond me, that is bordering on the criminal whereas I have the £60 in my pocket ready to give to Gavin, I can meet him later today if need be.

Maybe whoever has the ball and shirt is holding them for the right occasion to raffle them?

Horace - Thanks for trying to clarify the position but there really isn't anything to clarify and you have been wasting your time. How you can say that it is on a par with the signed shirt and ball scandal is beyond me, that is bordering on the criminal whereas I have the £60 in my pocket ready to give to Gavin, I can meet him later today if need be.

There, you've just answered Horace's question No 4. It wasn't too difficult was it?

They should have been raffled well over a year ago following the fire at Coles Park, that was the stipulation Spurs made if you recall.